Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:32 pm 
A new review of folding kayaks, including a wisper, is now up on http://www.feathercraft.com/resources/d ... 6286d660d2.

Actually its from last summer, but it only appeared recently on the website.
Unfortunately the review are from a german magazine, which means some of us will just have to hope for a friendly translator :)

Ohh, by the way, this is my first post here but hopefully not my last.
I have never paddled a folding kayak, which are about to change, as I have just purchased a wisper which I plan to pick up next week.

/Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:12 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

You can copy the text into altavista babelfish, but the results are hard to read:
Quote:
also 101 years after its invention the principle folding boat anything did not lose at attractiveness: At that time like today it opens a far gate for the civilization-tired to the escape from the everyday life.
It's amusing but a lot of work to guess the orignal meaning.

Nohoval

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:20 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Oh, and welcome Brian. Enjoy your wisper too - I know you will!

Nohoval

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:33 am 
I did try the babelfish website, but I need that fish in my ear to understand the outcome, if you know what I mean :P

Spring has just arrived and I cant wait to put that wisper out on the water.
But it will take an extra week before I do so.

/Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:07 pm 
faltbootemeister

I have the original Kanu magazine form where the Wisper review is. beside the Wisper is a review of several other folding kayaks, if you need a translation for the Wisper review, maybe i can help?

:wink:

servus

Willi

2002 Seaward Gemini Tandem
2005 Feathercraft Big Kahuna
2006 Feathercraft K1
2010 Feathercraft Wisper XP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:54 am 
westcoastwill wrote:
if you need a translation for the Wisper review, maybe i can help?

That would be really great.

I have a hard time understanding the conclussion, here is the translation from babelfish:

The Feathercraft Wisper is not to toppen, which concerns handling characteristics, processing and erotische radiant emittance. Which concerns the price, however the same applies. Blame gives it only for the Aufbauprocedere, here would be desirable a special to clamping fixture. Zoelzer, help!

If it was not for the last sentence I would think they are saying that the wisper has bad handling characteristics, bad overall quality, bad look and too high price.
The last sentence however, kind of turns it around and says that the only thing to complain about are the assembly procedure, which means I misunderstood the first sentence ?

From the babelish translation I also cant see why they rate it to an overall of 1.9, even the Puffin has a higher score.
Looking at the scales it looks as if the wisper comes out on top of most of them ?

I hope you can help me out here.

Thanks ...

/Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:00 pm 
Babelfish result sometimes is a very funny language , we call "kauderwelsch" combining english, german and fantasy words. The meaning of the last sentence is: There is nothing better than the Wisper regarding driving attributes, workmanship and erotical charisma, it is top level so is its pricing. Assembly prosedure is to blame, Zölzer (one well known german company for custom kayak parts like steerings) give help.

Knownknight

Klepper T9
Hart Hecht H9
Pax M3b
Hammer WZ
Struer Limfjorden
Struer Sprinter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:05 pm 
i forgot: they'd asked for Zölzer's help to create a better tool to stretch the hull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:13 pm 
Quote:
From the babelish translation I also cant see why they rate it to an overall of 1.9, even the Puffin has a higher score.

German rating is different, the 1 is on top.

Hope it help.
Knownknight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:05 pm 
Knownknight wrote:
Hope it help.

It sure does, it all makes sence now.

Thanks alot ...

/Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:29 pm 
faltbootemeister

Ok guys, here is my humble translation of the review, i did my best, please be gentle on me with your verdict on my english :?

First of all: the Wisper is rated 1,9 (this is the best rating of all tested folders)

The describtion:

Feathercraft is well known as pacesetter in the folding kayak industrie.
Hull and deck are made of urethancoated nylon and is seamless welded.

The longitudinal pieces are made of aluminum/magnesium alloy tubing, the crossribs are made of high-density polyethylene.

Thanks to the crafty frame construction, the Wisper needs just 4 longitudinal pieces, one of several actions for reducing weight.

Like the Fujita, the front and rear frame halfes are inserted into the skin thru the cockpit opening.

To this stage, the assembly is rather easy.

Now comes the point, where for flexing the telescopable middlepieces some extra fine motoricity, physical understanding and selfcontrol is required.

Frequently shifting of the cocking lever is necessary to cock the 5 longitudinal pieces step by step.

For this kind of work, you need 3 hands: the fist one opens the pin, the second pulls the lever and the third hand arrests the lever from sliding out of its hole.

Once this obstacle is overcome, the assembler is rewarded with an elegant as well as rigid boat in seakayak appearance.

As soon as sitting in the comfortable seat with air back lumbar support, the feeling proofs the meaning as folding sea kayak: two tubes serve as bracing bars and provide accurate contact with the boat, even to roll the kayak seems quite possible!

The Wísper is build on keel reacts on hip moves and carves turns easily, at some little costs of the initial stability.

The sharp bow cuts easy thru the waves. Because of the upswept bow the kayak has ample of buoyancy for not to geting stuck in the opposite wave after surfing into a trough.

The kayak is somewhat more demanding for novice kayakers, they will learn a faster, more seaworthy paddle.

The evaluation:

When it comes to manufacturing, handling performance and erotic charisma ( how hey come to this criteria escapes me :oops: ) Feathercraft Wisper is top of the line. This is true for the retail sales price also.

The only rebuke is the assembly procedere. a special tool for stretching the hull would be desirable. Zölzer ( a german kayak company) help!

I hope this helps, i have a K1 and a big Kahuna, but am very temted to add a Wisper to my fleet of kayaks too!

servus

:wink:

Willi

2002 Seaward Gemini Tandem
2005 Feathercraft Big Kahuna
2006 Feathercraft K1
2010 Feathercraft Wisper XP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:09 am 
Thanks for posting the translation and the the cover, you are a much better translator than babelfish :D

Your translation are very clear and understandable.

Im really happy to see that also this review are positive to the wisper, there are only a few reviews on this boat but they all seem to be in favor of the wisper.

I get my wisper this comming saturday and I am happy still to be confident that it is the right boat for me.

I will post my experiences with it on yakpacker.blogspot.com and migth also do a small review that I will put up on this board.

Can anyone add to my list of wisper reviews ?

- http://foldingkayaks.org/wisperreview1.shtml
- http://www.foldingkayak.com/reviews.htm
- viewtopic.php?t=65
- http://www.feathercraft.com/resources/d ... -km-de.pdf
- http://feathercraft.com/resources/docs/ ... 006-ak.pdf

/Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:45 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

[quote="westcoastwill"]

When it comes to manufacturing, handling performance and erotic charisma ( how hey come to this criteria escapes me :oops: )

Maybe it is the picture of the K2 near the brothel in Okinawa in the K2 gallery on the Feathercraft site. http://www.feathercraft.com/gallery/k2.php
The kayak is being assembled in front of the old Okinawa Kayak Center. The purple sign at the upper right hand corner is the entrance to the brothel.

Innova Helios 380 ( TBD )
Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari (TBD)
Mariner ( TBD)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:09 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Brian Wrote:
Quote:
I will post my experiences with it on yakpacker.blogspot.com and migth also do a small review that I will put up on this board.

I can't open this Link or find it via a search . Perhaps you can clarify the Link ?

Thanks,

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:15 pm 
Sorry Tom ...

http://yakpacker.blogspot.com/

/Brian