Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:54 pm 
Quote:
1. Did you try to roll it?

:-) Heck no! The water was about 4C, which is reason enough, but also, the demo was on the reservoir where south Calgary gets its drinking water comes from, so they frown on that type of thing. The guide (Cam, was his name, I think) mentioned that he had rolled his numerous time (don't know which style) and it rolled fine with the combing braces. Without the braces, he really had to squeeze his knees.

Quote:
2. Is the back deck high? Could you do a layback?

I think so. It's not my favourite type of roll, so I wouldn't take that opinion as golden.

Quote:
3. How do the expanders work? You mention air and pistons - is that a figure of speech?

They are a slick bit of design. There are small pneumatic piston pumps on the three main hull support tubes. You pump them (only a few cranks req'd) and they jack-out the tubes. The side ones tension the skin or change the lateral "pitch" of the boat. If you pump one side more than the other, you turn in the opposite direction - that way you can fine tune the boat to resist a steady cross wind. Sounds weird, but it actually works. Pump the bottom one to change the rocker of the boat. I personally found the best all-around setting was with the rocker maxed, and then backed off just a bit. There is a safety release valve built in to each pump to prevent over-stressing.

Quote:
I'm starting to consider the possibility of selling the Kahuna and getting one of these.

...wanna buy me one too :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

I'm looking forward to getting our first extended review here from a buyer. At $5,575.00 it's the most expensive folder on the market by around $800. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to a Khatslano.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:14 am 
Quote:
Heck no! The water was about 4C, which is reason enough, but also, the demo was on the reservoir where south Calgary gets its drinking water comes from, so they frown on that type of thing.

Fair enough!

Quote:
The guide (Cam, was his name, I think) mentioned that he had rolled his numerous time (don't know which style) and it rolled fine with the combing braces. Without the braces, he really had to squeeze his knees.

Are the braces not standard then?

Quote:
They are a slick bit of design. There are small pneumatic piston pumps on the three main hull support tubes. You pump them (only a few cranks req'd) and they jack-out the tubes.

That's interesting. If you want the boat exactly straight, is there a way to tell that the tubes are evenly extended, or do you just eyeball the boat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:56 am 
Quote:
Are the braces not standard then?

I had the impression that they will be standard.

Quote:
That's interesting. If you want the boat exactly straight, is there a way to tell that the tubes are evenly extended, or do you just eyeball the boat?

The pumps are all of the same type and are calibrated so that one "crank" on one equals one crank on another. Pump it 3 times on the left, and you match it with 3 on the right to make it straight. Any less (or more) and it becomes assymetrical by some amount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:33 am 
Thaks for all the info kevlar!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:39 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Some interesting words on this new boat. I watched the videos and listened to the pros and cons. It could be a great new boat.

I will be curious to see what kind of storage capacity for expeditions it will carry. Without hatches, I don't see it as competition to the K-1, yet.

What will all of the fancy rocker and keel adjustments do in high winds and rough seas under a heavy load....and no sponsons.

How will it handle when you are doing a self rescue. So far, all I have seen is it demo'd on placid lakes ( unless I have missed something ).

For my money it better perform more than three times as well as a Folbot Cooper, twice as well as a Kahuna and a lot better than a k-1, Mark 1, etc., etc., to be called revolutionary.

Don't get me wrong or misunderstand my comments. I am all for new boats and new technology. I am as anxious as the rest of us to see how it will perform over the long haul ( sorry about that pun, but we are lucky to have a lot of good boat builders out there! ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 am 
Hi All

FYI, there's an interesting review of the Trak kayak in the latest ed. of Sea Kayaker Magazine. In short, they gave it a very positive review. Give it a read if you have a chance.

FWIW, I had an opportunity to visit the Feathercraft factory on a recent trip to the coast. My wife and I both paddled a Khats and Wisper. I found the Khats much more to my liking. It felt much more responsive to edging, tracked a bit better and was faster. The khats is also a more suitable boat for longer trips thanks to the front and back hatches, which the trak lacks. I think it's likely that a couple of feathercrafts (a khats for me and wisper for my wife) are in our future - now I just need to earn that Christmas bonus!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:41 pm 
faltbootemeister

Did you mean that the Khats was more responsive, tracked better and was faster than the Trak or the Wisper?
BernieM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:54 pm 
Sorry - should've been more precise. Yes, the Khats was all of the above vs. the Trak, imo. The wisper was also an excellent boat, but at 6'4" and 200lbs I'm probably at the very limit of its specs. Although I did fit in the wisper and could certainly make it work had I not already fallen in love with the Khats. 8)

My wife, on the other hand, fit the wisper like a glove and enjoyed paddling it very much. She and I both found the wisper to be more the equivalent of the Trak, although the wisper has the option of adding hatches and is half the price. Mind you, the Trak has an adjustable rocker... different trade-offs, I spose.

Also, in retrospect, when trying out the Trak, I wanted to keep it fully rockered. It seemed to perform much better all around when in this configuration, including forward tracking and speed. Others we met this summer who have paddled the Trak more extensively than we also noted this behavior. When fully un-rockered the trak seemed to drag a bit.

One other comparison possibly worth noting; I preferred feathercraft's backpack carrier to the Trak's design. The Trak carrier is certainly high-end, but it's more like an oversized golf bag on rollers - it also weighs a ton. Great for airline travel or rolling to the condo, perhaps, but not as suitable if you want to hike into your destination, or stuff it into the trunk of a small car.

There's also no way you could stow the trak bag in the boat if you had to. The feathercraft backpack might also be a tight fit for a day paddle, but I'm sure you could do it. Feathercraft also offers a travel duffel that you can carry the boat in alone which would certainly stuff into the boat without taking up too much cargo space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:14 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

kevlar wrote:
The feathercraft backpack might also be a tight fit for a day paddle, but I'm sure you could do it. Feathercraft also offers a travel duffel that you can carry the boat in alone which would certainly stuff into the boat without taking up too much cargo space.

I carried my Khatsalano's back pack for a three week trip in the hull along with camping gear. Still had some room, but I was in a warm place with no problems obtaining food and water.
Thanks for the info.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

Post subject: Re: TRAK folding kayak
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:59 am 
Did someone buy the Trak T-1600? How's the performance and durability after all these years? I'm very interested in buying one now that price has come down significantly........ Thanks

Post subject: Re: TRAK folding kayak
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:24 pm 
I'm interested in that too. Now the prices are in the other way thanks to the exchange rates.