Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: London Calling
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:17 pm 
Hi all,
What a fabulous site! I am a relative newbie to kayaking, I did a little as a child and continue to use S.O.T sea kayaks on holidays etc but my main interest is in construction. I have a keen interest in folding kayaks after picking up the Percy Blandford book "Canoes and Canoeing" and have ordered plans from Clark Craft for the BK19 17ft Folding double. I intend to start building within the next few months and look to contribute to this forum as time goes on.
All the best and look forward to exploring this site in great depth!
Best regards
M

Post subject: Re: London Calling
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:37 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Welcome M!

Look forward to seeing what you build. Starting to think along those line myself a bit.

D

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:33 pm 
Hi D,
Many thanks! Looks like we have ourselves some projects ahead? What sort of craft are you thinking of building? I am quite 'oldskool' in my outdoors outlook, the family all camp in a 5 metre bell tent for weekends away and a three metre bell tent for festivals so a vintage style kayak would suit us just fine.. have a possible restoration job on one craft coming up in the meantime. Will see how that pans out.
All the best
M

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:47 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

It,s nice to see someone building a Percy Blandford design, i built two Tyne kayaks from partial kits in 1978, non folders of course, in those days we called them canoes. My main craft are now Kleppers. An assocation you may be interested in is the "Historic canoe and kayak assocation" these are based in the UK and i am one of the two Canadian members. They will be very interested in your project and most likly give some sort of assistance. They publish a journal which alone is worth the membership fee. If you join you will be interested to see a member near the top of the list. They are at www.hcka.org.uk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:36 pm 
Hi John,
Thank you for your reply and the heads up on the HKCA! I am not too familiar with Tyne craft except what I have seen on http://www.brunel.ac.uk/~acsrrrm/kayak/tyne/tyne.html , a shame that some of these companies are no longer producing such wonderful craft... I was fortunate enough to pick up a 1965 Granta Folding Double Kayak frame last week, so think that the HKCA would be a great place to join! I think it may be prudent to build the BK19 first to gain some experience before attempting to restore the Granta..but all in all looks to be a busy year ahead ! My eldest is quite keen to get started so I had better pull my finger out !
Many thanks again for your message!
All the best
M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:31 pm 
It is great to hear from another kayak builder wanting to re-skin an old frame. I am in the process of re-skinning a Tyne Slalom. I altered the design and added inflatable sponsons and encountered some additional problems. Next time I will keep the skin design like to original.

I also build a Blandford kayak (PBY 10) in 1992 an really like it. Skinning a folding kayak is a little different but no harder.

I used the process that Tom Yost describes by lacing up the hull and then gluing the deck onto the hull. Other than the sponsons, it was rather easy. Right now I am mulling over how to finish the cockpit since it is a little different than the Yost kayaks. You might look over his website and just start on the old frame first.

The photo from the outside show how I closed in my porch, for the purpose of building kayaks. It works great. The plastic sheeting is to help keep it warmer during the night time. It adds about 10 degrees F. to the morning temperature. There is usually a 30 degree F. temperature spread during winter mornings which makes a nice working temperature.

I attached a few photos. This is the first time I have tried this so I hope it works.

Good luck.

Steve

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:04 pm 
Here are some more photos taken earlier showing how I laced the hull onto the frame. I had to make a temporary frame because the original had hardware sticking up which would have caused the deck not to fit right. The original skin did not have a zippered deck so I am going to try to make this one work the same way.

I also added some sticks along the middle of the cockpit to give it shape while I skinned the deck. They were just taped on and by cutting the tape they came right out. The cockpit rim was just set on to see how it looked.

Steve

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:25 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

For you enthusiasts of vintage folders, there's a Tyne single on British Ebay at the moment (item 270715268853). From the photos, it looks like the frame might be reasonable, but it certainly needs a new skin.

I think the vendor has a sense of humour - "There is still a Thames Licence on it 1961 so will need renewing."

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:20 pm 
Hi Steve,
Thanks for posting your pictures of your work in progress (do like the idea of making house modifications to build kayaks by the way)! I really like the work you have done on the Tyne so far, looks like it will be fabulous when it is all complete! How long have you been working on it? I am actually taking your advice and starting on the Granta first (the wife has been pressuring me to move it from the hall and into the loft, but I think if it does disappear into the loft, I will be retired by the time I see it again) So I will be assembling it over the weekend and seeing what pieces need replacing and and the state of the woodwork.

I am curious about the problems you encountered with adding air sponsons, was it due to the shape of the frame being quite slender and the sponsons making it harder to paddle? The guy who sold me the Granta said that it had sponsons on it originally so I was going to add them to the rebuild and also add some to the PBK.I quite like the idea of the additional stability really so a definite must for me!

I very much agree on Tom Yost's site being fantastic.. what an incredible resource! Have bookmarked it and have been studying it very very carefully, a great tip with lacing the hull to stretch over the frame! Plenty of useful tips on there for the amateur builder!

Do you still use your PBK 10 often, or more of an occasional treat?
Thanks again for your post !
M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:23 pm 
Hi Mary,
Thanks very much for the heads up on the Tyne on ebay ! Have made a note of it, but do think the wife will evict me to the shed if I have another kayak without finishing the first (especially as she saw me reading a printout of the Wayland catalogue the other day..wonder if I should insulate the shed?
All the best
M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:58 pm 
M

I have been working on the Tyne far too long. I would start and then there would be a serious interruption, new room, job changes, death in the family and Keyes Disease. One of my problems was that I started on the Tyne before I began building the room and the room took all my time for a while. The finished room mimics a Florida beach, warm and lazy, so during my free time I have been sitting in the warm sun during cold (outside) but sunny winter days while the kayak hung peacefully from the rafters. This has happened far to often with no serious work completed. From Key Largo, Florida to Key West this is called "Keyes Disease". I do plan to finish it up to use this summer.

As for the sponsons. If you will look at the photo showing the inside of the frame you will see that from the gunwale down, the sides slope in. This forces the sponson pocket to be curved. It took some really creative thinking, marking and gluing to get the pockets in the right position. Even then, they are a little closer to the keel than I would have liked. If you will look at Klepper frames that support sponsons, you will notice that from the gunwales down, where the sponsons are positioned, it is vertical, not flared like the Tyne. This allows the sponson pocket to be straight and easy to design.

I did not discover the significance of flared sides and sponson pockets until I was too far into the skinning to go back.

I don't think the sponsons will add enough width to effect the paddling. They do tighten up the skin very well. I can say they more than tripled the time to skin the kayak so far.

Steve