Small chip at end of gunwale rod - Quest 150

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

LivinLikeLarry
paddler

Small chip at end of gunwale rod - Quest 150

Post by LivinLikeLarry »

I recently purchased a Quest 150, and during initial assembly, I noticed a slight defect at the bow end of one of the gunwale rods. There is a small chip (pictured below), exactly 1 mm deep. Obviously this has not impacted assembly (in the 4 times I've assembled it), but my only concern is that this could become an actual problem down the road, particularly given the amount of tension this connection can have when initially inserting the keel.

Any advice regarding this would be appreciated. I've never owned a folder before, so it's hard to say if I'm just being overly cautious or not.

Pictures:
https://i.imgur.com/CvVlWY6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jPVEAbm.jpg

Apathizer
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: Small chip at end of gunwale rod - Quest 150

Post by Apathizer »

I doubt it will ever be more than a minor cosmetic issue. If you're still concerned you might apply a small amount of liquid steel or super glue to the chip so it doesn't get worse. Again, I doubt this will develop beyond a cosmetic issue.

LivinLikeLarry
paddler

Post by LivinLikeLarry »

Apathizer wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:36 am
I doubt it will ever be more than a minor cosmetic issue.
That was my best guess too, but figured I'd double check. A drop of super glue sounds like a decent idea too. Thanks for taking a look.

Apathizer
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Apathizer »

LivinLikeLarry wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:54 am
Apathizer wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:36 am
I doubt it will ever be more than a minor cosmetic issue.
That was my best guess too, but figured I'd double check. A drop of super glue sounds like a decent idea too. Thanks for taking a look.
You might want to use Gorilla Glue since it's water activated. Since it expands, use sparingly.

I'm also curious where you bought it? All the web sellers seem out of stock.

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

I'm trying to picture how the chipped tube connects to the frame so this may or may not work. I was thinking that a piece of larger diameter tube could act as an oversleeve. The snugger the better. This may eliminate any stress from future use. Maybe Pakboat would have some pieces you could purchase. Having an assortment would be good to have for field repairs.

LivinLikeLarry
paddler

Post by LivinLikeLarry »

Apathizer wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:45 pm
You might want to use Gorilla Glue since it's water activated. Since it expands, use sparingly.

I'm also curious where you bought it? All the web sellers seem out of stock.
Yeah, I'd be reluctant to use gorilla glue, simply because I think it would be hard to predict its expansion.

I purchased it directly from Pakboats. As for as I know, that seems to be the only option right now. I could always reach out to them and see if they think it warrants a replacement part, but as of now I don't think it will be an issue.
Jeremiah wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:42 pm
I'm trying to picture how the chipped tube connects to the frame so this may or may not work. I was thinking that a piece of larger diameter tube could act as an oversleeve. The snugger the better. This may eliminate any stress from future use. Maybe Pakboat would have some pieces you could purchase. Having an assortment would be good to have for field repairs.
Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately the connection here would make that not possible. Here's a picture, courtesy of KerryOnKayaks: https://www.flickr.com/photos/snapdoodl ... 706271353/

I can reach out to Pakboats to see if they will replace the part, but I'm currently thinking that won't be necessary.

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Post by Jeremiah »

Got it. Different connection than what I thought. You don't seem to concerned so that's good. You might at the very least send that photo to Pakboat and see what they think. All the tube ends should be properly finished, smooth, no burrs. Would this chip be a source of corrosion down the road? Good luck with whatever you decide. It's a really nice folding kayak!

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

My experience over the years with Pakboat has been that they are very helpful so they may well be able to supply a replacement section -- and likely would want to do so for no charge since it is a new purchase.

But if you consider how that end butts into the flexible assembly (in my photograph), that connection is already reinforced by the sleeve that retains it over the half ball joint. I also think it would never become a functional or structural issue. But get in touch with Pakboat and see if they can send you another segment.
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Feathercraft Java
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

LivinLikeLarry
paddler

Post by LivinLikeLarry »

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:36 pm
My experience over the years with Pakboat has been that they are very helpful so they may well be able to supply a replacement section -- and likely would want to do so for no charge since it is a new purchase.

But if you consider how that end butts into the flexible assembly (in my photograph), that connection is already reinforced by the sleeve that retains it over the half ball joint. I also think it would never become a functional or structural issue. But get in touch with Pakboat and see if they can send you another segment.
I did end up sending them a quick email regarding this (with pictures). That was on July 20th. I sent a follow-up yesterday morning (26th) and still have not heard back from them. Not sure if this is typical, but so far my experience communicating with Pakboat has been pretty lackluster.

That is a good point regarding the sleeve though. Based on everyone's feedback here, I'm pretty confident this won't develop into a bigger problem. However, I do wish that I could get Pakboat to take a look at the pictured defect and weigh in with their official opinion on it.

Return to “Pakboats”