leaking sponson

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

overland
faltbootemeister

Re: leaking sponson

Post by overland »

Unfortunately I tried several times and simply could not get the patches to seal well enough to keep the air in. I used HH-66 adhesive. There was always just a tiny bit of air leaking out. I ended up ordering the replacement sponsons. As I said, they're expensive, and I think Pakboats, for all their excellent customer service, could have done better by customers like me who bought boats with the defective pieces.
It could be also that I should have used a different adhesive.

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

In Pakboat's defense, they did offer free replacement sponsons to owners who discovered the defective ones and reported the issue within the warranty period. After that time elapsed, I think it's justified to not offer free parts indefinitely. It's something that you have to take a chance on when buying used and/or older boats. I didn't realize I was buying two otherwise pristine Swift 14's a few years ago that actually had bad sponsons, but I accept that I have to deal with making new ones myself (the original owners failed to avail themselves of the replacements when they could have done so.) The boats were dirt cheap so, que sera, sera.

Pakboats has offered reasonably priced quality products for a long time. To offer endless free replacements (as a company like Kokatat does with their high end dry suits) you have to have a premium initial price.
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

overland
faltbootemeister

Post by overland »

That's interesting. I didn't hear about the free replacements. But just to be clear, I'm talking about defective parts, not ordinary parts wearing out or somehow failing with long use. On my even older pakCanoe 140, the sponsons and valves are fine. On my 165, just 10 years old, the elbows on the valves have simply disintegrated--all six of them.

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

I admit I have often been a slacker in returning warranty cards for costly toys I have bought. But the situation with the defective sponsons that PakBoat had is a reminder that we should all do that. if a company discovers that they received a batch of bad parts, if they have a record of who has the products in that particular run they can contact them to alert them to the issue and possibly offer replacements.

There have been cases, not just with PakBoat, where fabrics failed due to intrinsic defects in the material. The one 2007 batch of sponsons (mostly for the Swift 14', from what I understand) that delaminated catastrophically were eligible for free replacement once they figured out what had happened. But the delamination created very slow leakage which was only detectable if you submerged the inflated sponsons -- when I did so with the ones I had there was a steady stream of tiny bubbles from hundreds of microscopic ruptures in the vinyl coating where it had lost its bond with the dacron fabric substrate. When I later attempted to use liquid latex poured into the valves to recoat and reseal the interior of the sponsons and inflatable seats, the milky liquid seeped through everywhere and revealed how massively the fabric/coating bond had failed.

But if you did not regularly use the boats with that failure or didn't have them out for more than an hour or two, you might not have noticed the leaking. I had a similar failure with the coated ripstop Cordura that was used for the the sea sock and backpack for my Feathercraft Wisper: all the coating cracked where is was over the larger cross threads of the ripstop and caused it to flake off in little squares.

Having seen these issues with coated fabric failure is one reason why I decided to make the replacement sponsons out of solid vinyl and sew separate nylon sleeves for those tubes (like those in my Feathercrafts.)
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15