2005 Puffin, Swift 14

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

michelled
forum fan

Re: 2005 Puffin, Swift 14

Post by michelled »

Hi Kerry,

I actually got those seats this winter. I didn't talk with Alv, but with the person who's now running Pakboats (I don't recall his name). So maybe they have them back in stock?

Thanks for the tip about the 2-liter bottles. I had started to use ziploc bags full of water, but that's just awkward. The ballast definitely helped, so I'll switch to bottles after I pick some up.

Michelle

idc
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by idc »

I could also use a new seat for my Puffin. Do I understand that the new sling type seats wouldn't fit it?
I guess I should go and ask Pakboats, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here as well as it is a current topic of discussion.
All the best,
Ian

michelled
forum fan

Post by michelled »

Hi all,
When I ordered my new seats for Puffin and Puffin Swift, I asked whether the swing seats would work (I had been reading that they were super comfortable). But I was told that they wouldn't work with my boats so I ordered the inflatable ones. It's worth asking if your kayak is a newer Puffin than mine (2005).
Michelle

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

The two Puffin Swifts I am trying to outfit are 2007's. They take the same seat as my 2004 Puffin 12 -- I have the seats for them but the fabric is defective and have already determined that the older Puffin seat fits in. All these are just inflatable seats on a simple frame that lash into the kayak ribs -- not clip onto the longerons like the newer sling seats. I will call Pakboat tomorrow and see if there actually are inflatables I could get -- I would really like to get these two Swifts squared away with new seats and sponsons so somebody can use them. The frames and skins are like new and I know I could easily sell them with current demand so high,
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

Michelle: the problem you probably already noted with using water filled baggies is that the mass of the water shifts around with gravity and inertia so that affects the boat's balance. Using completely filled rigid bottles makes for more stable balance -- also duct-taping 3 together keeps them from rolling around though you only need to fill one or two if you don't need as much as 6 liters of water for your ballast.
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

michelled
forum fan

Post by michelled »

The bags have actually worked fine. I put them right in front of the seat and they don’t move at all. Haven’t yet gotten bottles yet. Those might work even better!

Return to “Pakboats”