NEW TAKE APART

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

NEW TAKE APART

Post by john allsop »

Have we all seen the PAKAYAK BLUEFIN take apart. Like the Klepper Backyak might have been. It looks interesting and comes with a nice looking pull along trolley that the boat goes into before assembly and at a price that will be affordable for many.

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: NEW TAKE APART

Post by JohnSand »

Not yet, but I'll check it out.

Jake
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by Jake »

A redux, albeit an interesting one, on the take-apart, nesting kayak. But fifty-nine pounds? Way too heavy! Oru and,now Tucktec are selling boats, lots of boats, because they are lightweight, transportable and easy to assemble.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

The Pakayak is heavy, but appears to me to be a lot more seaworthy than the Oru, and Tucktecs. Of course, it is a bit more expensive too.

$1,500 for the initial launch didn't appear to be too bad for a new design, but the new retail price of $1,900 seems a bit high to me, given they only provide a 1 year warranty with it.

I'm concerned about the longevity of the buckles over time. A longer warranty would allay those fears some, especially if they provided a 10 year, or lifetime warranty for it.

I also wish they'd been able to eliminate the seam in the cockpit too, since that is another area of concern.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

I welcome pakayak to the market. Looks very well designed and engineered with thoughtful compromises, as any kayak requires. Length and beam, cockpit size, hatches, packed size and weight all fit a broad set of potential requirements that a kayaker might have. Sure, it could be lighter...make it out of kevlar and charge $10k for the boat. Sure, it could be cheaper...make it out of corrugated plastic that works fine as long as you don't ask it to bend and save a few hundred in production costs (but forget about hatches and deck fittings).
Congrats Pakayak, here's to innovation and success!
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

As regards weight, it,s not that heavy, if I remember correctly the Klepper 490 csm version which is a single seater weighs 70LB and my Klepper A2 which I use as a single seater weighs more. Once on the water it dosn,t seem to make much difference, and using a kayak cart means very little lifting unless portaging where wheels can,t be used.

Jake
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by Jake »

One of the things that attracted me to folders in the first place was the light weight of boats like Feathercraft and Pakboat. My first kayak, bought 38 years ago, was made of plastic and weighed about 58 pounds. That didn’t seem too heavy then but now, as approach my 80th birthday, anything heavier than 35 pounds would not make the cut. I have an Aironaut which weighs a scant 20 pounds and I’m looking for another late model used K-Light. At 33 pounds, that’s about as heavy as I’d want to carry.

Return to “Other boats”