Folbot Greenland II expedition

A place to answer questions from newcomers.

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

overland
faltbootemeister

Folbot Greenland II expedition

Post by overland »

I've been looking for a way to prepare my klepper Aerius 2 for a weeklong trip in Glacier Bay, but have also been checking out new kayaks that come up for sale. I happen to be in Florida, visiting my elderly parents, where there's a guy with a Greenland ii with rudder and spray cover for sale. It's from 1998 and the seller is asking $750. Would this be a suitable boat for the trip? What's the reputation of Folbots of that vintage? And what would be a reasonable price? I really don't want to pay more for it than I could sell it for in Chicago.
I should add that I've decided that the hull on my Klepper needs replacement: I'll probably do it myself using coated polyester fabric like the kind used on Pakboats. But that's going to take a while, so I can't count on the boat being ready for a late summer trip.

GrnMtns
faltbootemeister

Re: Folbot Greenland II expedition

Post by GrnMtns »

I would never buy a 90's Folbot. The rivets & plastic components had major issues. The Skin is over 20 years old.... I would get a new A II skin from Long Haul If I was going to Alaska.
Best,
Jon

Klepper A II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

You could also get a new skin from Klepper America but it,s a question of what you can afford. I suppose with tax they are close to $3000. Wayland are a bit cheaper but their reputation of service is poor by some reports.

overland
faltbootemeister

Post by overland »

The skin actually looks in very good condition. The boat hasn’t been used much. It’s not hypalon but something closer to what’s on my pakboat. That fabric has proven tough and durable.

overland
faltbootemeister

Post by overland »

I should add that there’s no way I can afford a long haul skin. Next best thing would be to finish the skin I’ve been assembling materials for. I’ve just got to get to work on it.

GrnMtns
faltbootemeister

Post by GrnMtns »

https://www.longhaulfoldingkayaks.com/c ... ll-classic

Currently a new AII Hull from Long Haul is $1700
Best,
Jon

Klepper A II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

My first Folbot was a well used 90s boat I acquired in the last few years. The deck needed a patch and spray, it also needed some rivets. Bring a roll of Gorilla tape and a rivet gun for repairs. The price of kayaks has risen sharply during Covid, I don't think $750 is bad. Much quicker and cheaper than ordering a new skin for the Klepper.

overland
faltbootemeister

Post by overland »

I ended up buying the Folbot for $625. It comes with a rudder and spray cover, and I'll have some months to test it on smooth and rough water and look for its weaknesses. The boat hasn't been used much, and as I said, I thought the skin looked pretty darn good. (I have an old Ally canoe with similar fabric that's in very good condition.) In the meantime I'll get cracking on my Klepper rebuild. Thanks for everyone's comments.

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

Sounds good. Keep us posted.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Long Haul can see a new hull on a good deck for around half the price of a complete skin. I had them do a Master I owned.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

overland
faltbootemeister

Post by overland »

I once asked if they could do it for a skin I have with a deteriorated hull. But Mark said the deck wasn't good enough, though I couldn't see any problems with it myself. Do you know how to tell a good deck from a bad one?

Return to “What boat for me?”