Pakboat Quest 155?

A place to answer questions from newcomers.

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

overland
faltbootemeister

Pakboat Quest 155?

Post by overland »

I just picked up a used Pakboat Quest 155 (for $600). Any advice or suggestions? I have a PakCanoe 165 that I quite like, but I have no experience with their kayaks. This is an earlier version that's been superceded by the Quest 150, I think.

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Pakboat Quest 155?

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

I have an early model Quest 135, which was the shorter version of what you have. You can tell the manufacture date by the last 2 digits of the serial number on the skin. If you have a 155 from the same early versions (which, unlike the newer 150/155, can't be used without the deck) then I am pretty sure yours goes together the same as mine. The Pakboat assembly instructions are a little unclear (often a problem with someone who knows a boat very well tries to write directions for those who don't). So I made an extensive series of photographs showing the steps for assembling it. Some will be familiar to you from your PakCanoe experience, but other steps can be kind of baffling without pictures. Here's a link to the Flickr album and narrative:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/snapdoodl ... 7706271353

There was a minor issue with the seat mounting of the early run of the 135 -- don't know if that was also true of the 155's. It sat too high and made the boat a little instable. Pakboat sent me instructions for correcting that by retrofitting the seat bar connections with stainless steel strap type plumbing connectors. It was not hard -- I think a couple of us who have the model shared instructions and photos on here.

As to the kayak, it's a wonderful model, very comfortable, easy to paddle and much simpler to assemble than the Feathercraft kayaks I had owned before. Can't beat the light weight and portability. You got a great deal.
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

overland
faltbootemeister

Post by overland »

Thanks. I'll get it out and look for the serial number. It's cold today here but is expected to warm up. That will melt the snow and make it easier to take it out for assembly.
As it happens, I'm close to a deal on an Ally 16.5 canoe to replace my PakCanoe 165. PakCanoes are better made, but the Allys are lighter, and a guide I know in Alaska swears by them. Plus, it's a great deal and I can't resist that. I've found that even the older folders--I mean the Allys and the Pakboats--are still in very good condition. They don't seem to deteriorate like the old Hypalon Kleppers.

overland
faltbootemeister

Post by overland »

It was made in 2013, probably one of the originals. I'll be sure to check the seat height.

Return to “What boat for me?”