Sea kayaking with a Klepper Aerius 2?

Questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

overland
faltbootemeister

Sea kayaking with a Klepper Aerius 2?

Post by overland »

A friend has invited me on a trip in Glacier Bay in late summer. The folks in his group will rent tandem sea kayaks. I have a Klepper Aerius II. Would it be suitable for such a trip? Could we keep up? (Apparently the distances will be modest.) I don't have a spray cover. Could I buy or make one?
There's also a Folbot Greenland 2 near me for sale. Would that be better?

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Sea kayaking with a Klepper Aerius 2?

Post by JohnSand »

I'm pretty sure they've done it, the Aerius II is very well regarded as an multi-purpose boat. I do think you can make a spray cover, or find one used.
I like Folbots, and admire the Greenland II, it might have more capacity.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

The Aerius II would be far superior to a Folbot. Hanes Lindemann crossed the Atlantic in one. Long Haul Folding Kayaks has the best spray covers for these boats- I own two.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

overland
faltbootemeister

Post by overland »

Is there any place I might find a less expensive spray cover--or plans to sew one myself?

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

The Klepper is probably a better sea kayak than the hard shells but I can,t comment about keeping up with them, if you know the intended destinations or camp sites you should still get there even if after the main party, but if you have all the provisions and tent you need if you can,t catch up you should still be ok. Perhaps you could have a day out with the hardshells and see how you fare. Now for a spray cover, yes you can make your own, I have made three, on the klepper I would hold it on with stainless steel press fasteners which are available from sewing shop suppiers.

overland
faltbootemeister

Post by overland »

Did you work from a plan? I don't think I could do it without one.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Not from a plan I made the spray covers for one person sitting in the rear seat, but the opening could be put anywhere. The tunnel part was square at the bottom and round at the top, in sheet metal terms it,s called a square to round, simple for me as I was a sheet metal worker. If I can I will look up photos or take some new ones but last time I tried to add photos I couldn,t after the new system came in.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

Not sure if you plan on paddling solo? If you are, and I don't know how handy you are, but if you have modest skills I would highly recommend modifying the A2 for single paddling by moving the seat to the middle of the boat and using a bit longer paddle, I found that 240 cm worked well for the broad beam of this kayak. And even from the rear position i have no problem paddling the A2 as a single in all but the heaviest wind (when I find myself fighting to keep the boat tracking staight). A rudder is a must, but you will forfeit a good bit of energy using a hard rudder in a big wind, especially solo from the rear seat. You can modify the boat for middle seating using an aluminum track for the seat, available through Klepper, and by repositioning the t-fittings for the seat back. If you think you want to go that route I would be happy to share some more detail.
And a spray skirt is a must, imo. The A2 will take on water even in light chop and you will find yourself constantly fighting the keep the boat dry. Sounds like a fun trip!
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

overland
faltbootemeister

Post by overland »

I was thinking we would use it as a tandem. Is that possible with a spray skirt?

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Yes, if you look at the klepper photos of their spray covers there is a two seater which can be sealed round the waist. I made my spray covers as I wanted them with only one opening at the rear seat location which Klepper don't make. I assume you have the 520 length boat, have you tried it with two aboard, I found the seats too close.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

RobertD
forum fan

Post by RobertD »

You might find that the A2 more than keeps up with hardshells when there is a bit of chop. The A2 flexes with the waves, making for a smoother ride. On a perfectly calm day (which is seldom in the PNW), a good rigid kayak will be faster. I love the A2's. The can hold a lot of gear, are near impossible to sink because of the sponsons, are surprisingly fast, track well, and can handle heavy weather as well as any kayak I know of.

The Folboats have a rep of being a bit more sluggish. Have never used one.

DoiNomazi
faltbootemeister

Post by DoiNomazi »

john allsop wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:11 am
The Klepper is probably a better sea kayak than the hard shells but I can,t comment about keeping up with them, if you know the intended destinations or camp sites you should still get there even if after the main party, but if you have all the provisions and tent you need if you can,t catch up you should still be ok. Perhaps you could have a day out with the hardshells and see how you fare. Now for a spray cover, yes you can make your own, I have made three, on the klepper I would hold it on with stainless steel press fasteners which are available from sewing shop suppiers.
No real campsites in Glacier Bay but plenty camping on the numerous beaches. Watch for bear scat and bear holes you don’t want to have an unhappy bear (there are brown bears) to come and check your caping reservation… :) Otherwise, it’s an easy paddling, easy put in/put out, plenty wood to burn, beautiful landscape. We did it in a rental fiber tandem, but the Klepper, or Long Haul, or similar would feel at home.

https://vimeo.com/143107435
Seasick & Grumpy enjoying a Long Haul Mark II Commando with BSD 36' HP Sport sail

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

Lucky you. :D

I need a friend, or friends like that.

Of course, it goes without saying, I'm not against paddling in tropical climes either.

Return to “General folding kayak questions”