Neris Folding kayaks?

Questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

xen314
paddler

Neris Folding kayaks?

Post by xen314 »

Hello there, does anyone know much about Neris Folding Kayaks?
Appear to be a Russian brand at a reasonable price, some of their boats seem to be
modeled on Kleppers and a whole range of hybrid models.

Looking for a replacement for my Feathercraft Klondike which I had to let go some years back.
Huge regrets.

Regards.

TW

mje
Site Admin

Re: Neris Folding kayaks?

Post by mje »

They appear to be an evolution of the Taiman kayak i test paddled some years ago. Back then the only kayaks coming out of the the region were surplus military assault kayaks with rubber skins that someone told me were designed for one-time use. Later, you could buy Soviet military kayak frames with improved synthetic skins. Now it looks like they’re designing and building complete boats for the civilian market.

My impression of that first Soviet boat was that it was difficult to assemble and very difficult to disassemble, but that it was indestructible. Later boats that combined military frames with new hulls had a good reputation. These certainly look like they’re worth investigating.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

JavaPaddler
recent arrival

Post by JavaPaddler »

Thanks for the heads up on this, TW, I really appreciate it. As the former owner of Folbot Greenland and Klepper Aerius, I completely understand your regret. I sold them both in a moment of insanity.

The Neris Alu looks very much like Folbot's Yukon. I have been on a mission to find a Yukon to plug the folding kayak-sized hole in my heart and it looks lime the Alu 1 might what be the correct medicine.

rohit000
paddler

Post by rohit000 »

Make sure you watch the YouTube assembly videos carefully. The pieces all attach together with nuts and bolts. It's still tool free but looks very fiddly and time consuming to assemble.

xen314
paddler

Post by xen314 »

Good afternoon, thanks for the feedback so far.
Trialing or any pre-sales inspection will be difficult as Australia is a long way from most Folding Kayak dealers.
The only other option is to wait for the odd ancient Klepper to show up on Ebay or Gumtree.

The Neris Valkure-2 looks like a nice option as it appears to be similar to the Klepper.

On https://foldingkayaks.co.uk/ they say it appears to be the quickest for the folding doubles
based on the results of the Devizes to Westminster Canoe race. Who knew they raced folders?
(Apart from 1936)

Thanks for the heads up about the fiddly assembly, looks like someone has tried to address this issue.
See https://neris.co.uk/, replace some of the bolts and wing nuts with large lynch pins which should speed up assembly.

Or there is the Neris-ALu2 which is easier to assemble, there is a video of it being paddled with two air chambers deflated
which allays some of the concerns about hybrids.

Once again a challenge to buy a folder without a test assemble.

Klondike was always a bit of a challenge especially extending the hull out to correct length.
Most of this was due to the fact the skin had stretched very little due to the lack of use by previous owner.

TW

MudGrassHorse
recent arrival

Post by MudGrassHorse »

I have three times used both the Neris Valkure/Alu and Smart Pro, I rented them in Ukraine for one week trips.

The Valkure/Alu is an exact copy of the old Soviet military craft Taimen with some improvements, most notable the hull membrane which now is a 900g/m2 PVC coated Polyester (from German manufacturer Mehler), it seems to be indestructible and those i have paddled was over ten years old rental models. It's not difficult to assemble unless you have 10 thumps or haven't tried it before, nor very fast to assemble, about 30-45 minutes.

Then this summer I first tried the Smart Pro and have now ordered one, It's a really good and fast craft. I choose this model instead of the Valkure because I can bring it as normal checked-in luggage at 23.5kg (I live in Norway). It does have 50kg less loading capacity but not an issue for me and my daughter's 3-5 day trips. I have seen complete newbies assemble the Smart Pro, its a no-brainer to assemble compared to the Neris Alu/Valkure.

If you want a Klepper/Folbot Youkon replacement then it's the Valkure/Alu, If you want something lighter, faster and easier take the hybrid version and don't worry about if you think it's an experiment you are buying, they have made folding kayaks for 20 years.

(BTW, Neris is an Ukrainian company situated just north of Kyiv, you can rent them everywhere i the country. If you want you can buy them new in Ukraine for around half price, it'll pay for your flight ticket and you can have a great trip on one of the rivers in Carpathian)

xen314
paddler

Post by xen314 »

Hello there MudGrassHorse, thanks for your post.
Great to hear from someone who has actually used both boats.
I had pretty much written off the Smart Pro but may have to reconsider following your post, interesting that the Smart Pro is faster than the Valkure.
The lighter carry on weight and the speed of assembly may also tip the balance.
There was another great thread about the future of folding kayaks, maybe the Smart Pro hybrid is it.

Thanks again.

Much to ponder.

TW

idc
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by idc »

Thanks for posting. I like the sound of a rental kayak holiday in Ukraine. Any recommendations for rivers?

MudGrassHorse
recent arrival

Post by MudGrassHorse »

idc wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:58 am
Thanks for posting. I like the sound of a rental kayak holiday in Ukraine. Any recommendations for rivers?
There are rivers for all levels, for rivers with rapids look here:
https://www.activeukraine.com/ukraine-g ... ng-ukraine

If you want something more calm and closer to Kyiv, then I have tried Desna, Snov and Ush rivers, the first two you can paddle for many days, Ush is really nice.
The season in Ukraine is until end of June then the water level becomes a problem.
And you can camp everywhere.

Dmytro
recent arrival

Post by Dmytro »

Neris is a good company that has been operating since 1999. I use their folding kayak "Neris-2" Valkyrie, both for rowing and for sculling and for sailing. No breakdowns in 13 years.
If you plan to travel in Ukraine, write, I will tell in more detail, I will meet and, perhaps, we will travel together.

xen314
paddler

Post by xen314 »

Hello Dmytro, do you have any photos of your Neris-2" Valkyrie rigged for sculling?
I assume it uses some sort of drop in rowing unit such as
https://www.clcboats.com/modules/catalo ... owing-unit

Thanks.
Tw

Dmytro
recent arrival

Post by Dmytro »

Hi, we do not produce such rowing blocks, so I made the sliding seat system myself from simple available materials. I will give a link to the photo. Now I will understand how to attach a photo, English is not my native language, sorry.

Dmytro
recent arrival

Post by Dmytro »

xen314
paddler

Post by xen314 »

Hello Dmytro, thanks for sharing those images of your Neris Valkure-2.
I think you may have set some sort of world record for versatility with a kayak.

Single Kayak.
Double Kayak.
Single scull
Double scull ( I have never seen anyone else do this with a folding kayak)
Sailing with two styles of rig.

Great photos.
Many thanks.

TW

Return to “General folding kayak questions”