Questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

pawprint
recent arrival

How do you transport your folding?

Post by pawprint »

Hi folks,

Klepper Aerius II owner here...

How do you folks transport your folding kayak on top of your car? Will the hull fit in a j-rack style rack from Malone? (A friend of mine can loan me his.)

I have an Acura MDX, factory rack. Any other attachment that you have found worked other than foam blocks?

And lastly, has anyone used a Malone Channel Loader (or something similar - it suctions to the rear window and has a spinning wheel to help get it up to the rack) to aid in getting the boat onto the factory racks? Thanks in advance...

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: How do you transport your folding?

Post by JohnSand »

Hi Paw,
I've owned Folbot Aleut, Yukon and Super. I strap them directly to the bare roof of the car, or to removable racks. I have used the T swivel post that fit into the trailer hitch for the Super (heavy). Let us know if you try that roller thingy.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

I put an extendable, aluminum ladder beneath the last one I had to move. For padding between that and the kayak, I lashed on some pink, XPS extruded styrofoam (tough stuff, unlike the beaded white stuff commonly sold), and then put blankets between that and the kayak, so the nylon cord didn't cut into the hull.

Wrapped blankets around the hull sides and top too, where the straps went over, to pad that and keep them from cutting into the hull and top deck as well.

Thankfully, the system worked very well, and it was quite sturdy, since they night I picked it up and the following morning transporting it was in high-wind conditions on the freeway and thru the mountains, so close to gale/hurricane force winds from various angles, not including the speed of the vehicle transporting it too.

I tied the ends back to the rack, and not down to the bumpers, front and rear, in order to avoid stressing the frame downward too. That worked well also.

caidheag
recent arrival

Post by caidheag »

I regularly cartop my Folbot Cooper and 16' Navarro canoe. The Cooper is light so I don't need load assist devices for it. For many years, I used a typical "saddle" style kayak carrier on cross bars for the the Cooper. It was Volvo branded but likely made by Thule. That carrier, in combination w/ some Thule straps and bow/stern lines w/ very little to no tension worked great. Nowadays, our two cars have aero/t-slot style cross bars; the old saddle carrier is square bar only. Near the bottom of my very long and ever-growing "to do" list is to see if I can retrofit that carrier to aero style or t-slot. In the meantime, I've been using simple v-shaped foam blocks w/ the Thule straps for the Cooper...and that setup works great. Usual roundtrip is 50-60 miles on mountain highway. Zero problems.

When I paddle the Navarro solo, I do use the Rhino Rack Universal Load Assist to cartop. It works very well. One caution is re aero bar width and thickness variability. The Load Assist comes w/ adapters to set it up depending on what kind of bars you have (round, square or various aero). The fit on some aero bars can be a little tricky depending on how thick they are (perhaps Rhino Rack has updated their adapters...I've had my unit for 9 years or so). Worked great for Volvo/Thule square bars. Worked fine for Nissan Pathfinder OEM aero cross bars. Works well on Yakima made cross bars for Tesla. Very tight/borderline fit on VW accessory aero cross bars for eGolf. YMMV for Acura. But overall the Rhino Rack Load Assist is awesome, easy to set up, and packs away in a skinny bag that it about the length of a folding beach chair.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

I always transport in the bags, in part perhaps because all my paddle spots are a freeway drive of at least 20-45 miles from home.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

I've transported my Feathercrafts and Pakboats thousands of highway miles on Thule roof racks, either directly on the rack or on J-racks. However....it was safer when I had old school (pre-Ford) Volvo wagons with the long rooflines that supported the frames better than today's short, egg-shaped cars. I seriously bent the frame longerons on my 15' 9" Wisper by hauling it upright on my Mazda CX5 on a 500 mile drive from Quebec to upstate NY. I was able to eventually straighten them but it was quite a process.

I have hauled the shorter 13' 6" Pakboat at highway speeds on the J racks but never for more than a couple of hours, and I admit it made me anxious. The windload on boats at highway speeds is pretty significant. Wooden frame boats (like older Kleppers and Folbots) are probably safer to carry this way

I had been sketching some ideas to make a supportive frame out of PVC pipe or other material to cradle the Feathercraft on the short spacing of the rack on the Mazda. But since I bought a compact motorhome last year that the boats can fit inside (converted cargo van with full overhead rear door and ramp) I can easily haul the my boats inside. Honestly, rooftop hauling hardly seems worth saving 30 minutes of assembly time to risk damaging an irreplaceable boat. I still haul them that way for local day outings but try to stick to routes that avoid speeds above 45 mph.
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

CitizenWolf
forum fan

Post by CitizenWolf »

On a trailer & attached to the back of my bicycle.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

I transported mine in the bags, even for fairly short distances as I always disassemble after use at the lake side or on the river bank.. I even found taking an assembled folder off the roof harder than doing the assembly.

CitizenWolf
forum fan

Post by CitizenWolf »

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

I've also used a Malone inflatable roof rack kit when I travel. The Malone tubes are strapped between the factory lateral roof rails on this rental Citroen wagon. The tubes cushion the 12' folding kayak but I have the boat itself strapped to the metal factory rails. The bow and stern are also strapped to the rails. Lacking factory rails you strap the boat to the car through the inside roof by running the straps through the open doors. I would not use this sort of rack for sustained high speed travel but it works fine for short local outings at speeds under 40 MPH. I have photos of this but can't post them on here due to file size restrictions
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15