1 1/2 blocks from navigable water

Favorite paddling locations to share

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

chrstjrn
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

1 1/2 blocks from navigable water

Post by chrstjrn »

I'm so jazzed about what I just did. I'm sitting here, still in my bathing suit, but I've got to tell someone. My employer got me an apartment less than two blocks from the lake. Today I assembled my Swift in my underground garage space, and then strapped it on the cart and walked it down to the lake. All the tourists are there, today, so I drew quite a crowd (not my preference, but it's worth it to get on the water). Door to water and water to door were just a tad over 10 minutes each. Living this close to water that I can actually use-- easily-- is a new experience for me.
Chris T.
Klymit Packraft
In storage in the US:
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind
'64 Klepper T12
Early '90s Old Town Canoe
Previous:
'04 Pakboat Puffin II
'05 Swift (prototype)
'84 Hobie 16.

westcoastwill

Post by westcoastwill »

Good for you, i bet the tourists have something to tell the folks back home!
:P
how about posting some photos?

i live a 10 minutes drive by car from the Danube, same distance from my girlfriends place to the next lake in the Salzburg lake district, getting tired of driving to paddle by car, i am planning to buy a "carry freedom" bike trailer
for hauling my Feathercrafts to the wet stuff!
:wink:

servus,

willi

chrstjrn

Post by chrstjrn »

Bike trailers are definitely appealing, especially if car-parking by the put-in is restricted or regulated.
Chris T.
Klymit Packraft
In storage in the US:
'64 Klepper T12
Previous:
'04 Pakboat Puffin II
'05 Swift (prototype)
'84 Hobie 16.

Kapitän von Klepper

Post by Kapitän von Klepper »

:arrow: Bicycle Carts

I'm very envious how close you are to the water! 8) What an awsome location! Waiting on your pics. It's always great to be close to an out-of-doors activity!

-Andreas

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Chris, I am envious of your close proximity to the water :wink: . I would be curious to know just how close people are to their nearest paddle places.

We may be the exception, but we live in Atlanta Georgia ( land locked :x ) and the nearest lake is 30 miles, nearest river is 22 miles and nearest coastal paddle is about 4 hours :!:

When we lived in the United Arab Emirates, we lived in the middle of the desert ( no lakes or rivers nearby :!: ). Our only recourse was to pack our Kahunas in our 4x4 and travel to the coast of the Persian ( Arabian ) Gulf or the Gulf of Oman, each about 1 1/2 hours.

As you can see, some of us have a longer trek for our fun :cry:

Chris

nohoval_turrets

Post by nohoval_turrets »

I'm not too badly off. The sea is only a couple of miles away, although that part of the coast is fairly industrial. Another half mile brings me to some nice rocky coast. There's a sizable island that creates interesting seas at different points of the tide. There's lots of seals there too, and you can even camp overnight. A good playground. All this within a half hour drive or so. Over the north side of town there's lots more islands.

If I'm at home and I decide to go paddling, I can be on the water in an hour and a half. I have a friend who lives in a town down the coast a ways, right by the harbour. He can be on the water in 15 minutes flat. The swine.

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Well, we hope to soon join the ranks of the "near to water" paddlers if all goes well. My wife and I are looking for a retirement house on the Georgia coast. We have an eye on a little house just six short blocks from a boat ramp. I am eyeing a bike cart as well, but I think my newly built mid cart would work well too. 8)

Atlanta is just too far from water!

Check out this quaint little town on the Georgia coast.

http://darien.georgia.gov/05/home/0,223 ... 52,00.html

Chris

chrstjrn

Post by chrstjrn »

That's a very nice bit of coast! I lived and studied in Brunswick for a little while. That's where I got my Klepper, in fact-- my first folding boat experiences were on that coast.
Chris T.
Klymit Packraft
In storage in the US:
'64 Klepper T12
Previous:
'04 Pakboat Puffin II
'05 Swift (prototype)
'84 Hobie 16.

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Chris T.

What we like about that coast are the various types of water there, coastal, bays, rivers, lakes all within a few miles of each other.

Chris

Return to “Favorite Places”