Feathercraft K-1 Questions From a Newbie

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

squid
recent arrival

Feathercraft K-1 Questions From a Newbie

Post by squid »

Hello From Spokane, WA. Almost a half century of paddling canoes in the U.S and B.C. Fishing, hunting camping and racing. Four time Grand Canyon rafter, all beginning in February on private permits in small groups. Spectacular! Built my own 18 foot wood canoe 30 years ago and still use it. A family heirloom! My wife and I have been active members of the Spokane Canoe & Kayak Club since 1979. Now we volunteer involving disabled military veterans in adaptive paddling with Team River Runner. I am the Spokane chapter coordinator. We mostly employ large cockpit plastic kayaks to teach the basics.
Personally, I have not owned a kayak, let alone a folding kayak, but now that could change. A good friend who has canoed and kayaked longer than myself is liquidating his fleet due to health concerns. (90 years old and an eye witness to Pearl Harbor @ 9 years old!) My son and I pulled an assembled Feathercraft K-1, 1991 manufacture, from his garage. He produced the sales receipt from Pacific Watersports in Seattle, WA. He said it was the zipper model, (has to do with the spray skirt or deck cover?) Also it has "Elite" stenciled on the rudder and an optional day hatch in forward deck. The friend says he used it only for two, 2 week trips, once to the Queen Charlottes and once to Baja. He has 4 Feathercraft travel bags, and a 4 piece Werner paddle that go with the kayak. All the rubbery hull and decking fabrics look real good except for a scuff on the keel amidships, maybe a foot or two long. The fabric is exposed but not abraded. The rudder works fine and the zipper is smooth. Stored indoors all it's life.
Three questions:
1- What be be a fair price to offer him so that I do not take advantage of him, and visa versa?
2. Anyone on this forum know how to deal with the repair?
3. What else should I be inspecting?

Thanks!

mje
Site Admin

Re: Feathercraft K-1 Questions From a Newbie

Post by mje »

Is it assembled or disassembled? If it’s been assembled for several years the tubes may be corroded and permanently locked together.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

squid
recent arrival

Post by squid »

Yes, assembled. I have not asked to tinker with the kayak so I do not know for certain. From reading some posts on this forum I see where frozen tubes are a problem. There was a spray can of Teflon based lube in the cockpit and Spokane has a generally dry climate. Since the kayak has spent it's life indoors I am hoping for the best. I would probably keep it assembled since 45 years of transporting 18 foot canoes has never been a deterrent. Thanks for the heads-up!

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

It depends on the user / buyer. I would say between $400 to $1,000 would be reasonable depending upon the condition and how badly you want it. There are a couple for sale up in the Pacific Northwest that are like this and they are listed for $800 each. They've been on sale for a while though so perhaps they're not as coveted as the newer type(s), although it's a perfectly serviceable and very robust kayak.

The value will be less for many people if it can't be folded up and put in the backpack, but if you're okay with car topping than that really shouldn't matter..

squid
recent arrival

Post by squid »

Thank you for your valuation figures and justifications. Now I have something to base an offering price on.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

You are welcome.

If your deal for this falls thru, the other two are listed on Craiglist, and are in Portland, or thereabouts.

I don't have any connection to the seller, or knowledge about them, other than seeing their listing and photos.

I do own one of these older K-1s, and they are quite nice, though later models without the rearl deck zipper, and with a more standard cockpit, do appear to be preferred by some.

I can say that the almost full length, rear deck zipper greatly facilitates the easy of unloading and loading gear in the stern, which rarely gets mentioned.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

I sold my 1997 K1 for around $1,000 when F’craft was still in business and spares were available, so I’d say that one should sell today for something closer to $500 or so.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

squid
recent arrival

Post by squid »

Thank you for the info.

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

You can patch the hull or deck using a patch kit for a folding kayak (all Feathercrafts came with them) or patching material and adhesive sold for inflatable rafts and air mattresses. it is also possible to get keel protection adhesive tape that is used on composite hard body kayaks to protect the hull. A little pricey, but Pakboats still sells patch kits for their folding kayaks. I suspect the one for Polyurethane boats would be most appropriate for a Feathercraft of that older vintage"

https://www.pakboats.com/kayak-accessories/
CURRENT FLEET:
Feathercraft Wisper
Feathercraft Java
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
PREVIOUSLY OWNED:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

Return to “Introductions”