Lateen sails

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

chrstjrn
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Lateen sails

Post by chrstjrn »

No problem-- Bookdepository seems like a good referral in any event.
Chris T.
Klymit Packraft
In storage in the US:
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind
'64 Klepper T12
Early '90s Old Town Canoe
Previous:
'04 Pakboat Puffin II
'05 Swift (prototype)
'84 Hobie 16.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

To-day i was with the local sail maker and showed him the photograph on page 157 in the book The Cockleshell Canoes (now you all need to buy the book), i hope the page number hasn,t changed as i have the first edition and the first copy that went to Canada. Anyway the sail maker of course said he could make it like the photo and what color do i want. For the spar he suggested the material that the kite surf boards mast is made from as that will save a lot of weight. So if the price is right i will probably have another sail to play with. He will also sort out the Flat Earth Sail for me as i had problems rigging it. Life,s interesting. There,s no limit to where the pension can go.

chrstjrn

Post by chrstjrn »

I just bought the last copy at Canadian Amazon...
Chris T.
Klymit Packraft
In storage in the US:
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind
'64 Klepper T12
Early '90s Old Town Canoe
Previous:
'04 Pakboat Puffin II
'05 Swift (prototype)
'84 Hobie 16.

DLee

Post by DLee »

John have you ever thought about a Batwing design? A kind of oversized version of the Kayaksailer sail? Quite a few of the sailing canoes I've sailed with use them and I have to say they really take off. Reefing is easy and there doesn't need to be anything in front of the mast, but you could of course always rig a jib.

I just see all the top air dump out of those sails on the canoes while the bottom of the sail catches it in a nice bellow. Really quite beautiful design in motion. The simplicity of the reefing seems like it would be high on efficiency as well. This will hopefully be my next design project. The BSD sails are too tall for my tastes of desiring less outrigger. (But my arm could be twisted if anyone wants to give one away, ha)

http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-faltb ... egeln.html

I'll be very interested to see what your sail man comes up with for rigging that Flat Earth sail. Wasn't Mick able to help you with that? Seems a little weak, to send you a sail with no real instruction on how to rig it - especially an odd/complicated sail like that.

Anyway, good luck and glad to hear you're having fun out there.

Cheers!

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Yes i thought about a bat wing. When i was thinking about BSD there were so many complains about service and delivery i didn,t go for one. Now of course delivery and service are excellent. The sail maker here will lend me some sailboard sails that i can play with , no doubt he hopes i will buy one. The Lateen i am looking at will be similar to the WW2 UK military ones. Flat Earth, Mick told me it had been tested on i think an open canoe so it should be ok on a klepper. I asked Mick how it had been rigged but probably with his medical problem i expect he forgot to reply, i havn,t bugged him for some time. In the book "CANOE RIG by TODD E BRADSHAW he has a drawing with dimentions for Twin Bat Wing sails which are a main and Mizzen, these sails look differentr than what i thought were bat wings. So i will now look at lead you sent. OK good. Todd Bradshaw has some good excellent drawings in his book.Another book well worth buying although i have been told a book by John Bull is better.

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

Old thread, I know. in addition to sailing my rigid Super with a 55 sq ft lateen last year, I've recently tried an old cotton canoe lateen. Consensus seems to be that it is an Old Town rig. I tried it recently in my double paddle canoe and am very pleased with it. I don't know that I would use it much in a decked kayak or canoe, as I don't want to drop my vintage canoe sail in salt water.

Return to “Sailing Gear”