Add a Scam Alert Section?

A place to suggest changes to the forum, and to FoldingKayaks.org

Moderators: chrstjrn, krudave

Rob
faltbootemeister

Add a Scam Alert Section?

Post by Rob »

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but believe I may be being scammed over a Feathercraft K-Light purchase - Red, 2000 model.

Anyway, we'll see how this plays out by the end of the week, which is the deadline I've given for more info and photos from the seller, or I'll ask for a refund thru Paypal.

Thankfully, I didn't send the deposit thru Paypal's "Friends and Family" option, as requested, since I wanted buyer protection for this. I offered to pay the seller for those fees too, in addition to the kayak.

So, I imagine this might be another good folder to add here to the site, in order to keep others from falling prey to scammers.

mje
Site Admin

Re: Add a Scam Alert Section?

Post by mje »

That sounds like a good idea. Anyone else think so?
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

If it stops anyone being conned out of their money which didn,t come easily, then Yes it is a good idea.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

As feared, this did turn out to be a scam, since the person contacting me about the Red, 2000 K-Light's e-mail address IS completely different than his bank account name that he set up with Paypal.

I can't verify that the model is actually a 2000 model, so beware of any Red K-Light "sales".

I provided a 50% deposit on it, to hold it, while requesting more info on the shipping details and photos of the lower hull, and ribs. More than a month later none of that was ever provided, and e-mail responses got progressively worse. I even provided my phone number and asked for the seller to contact me, which he never did, and he never provided his phone number to me.

I've asked Paypal for a refund, after 5 weeks of this silliness, and hope I'll get my money back.

I was contacted by this person via e-mail, thru an ad I place on the BASK.org website, seeking a K-Light and other Feathercraft models - Wisper XP and Khatsalano.

I'd be happy to provide the names used, and kayak photos sent to me, if you have any questions about other K-Light's for sale. Just send me a PM, or e-mail message.

Buyer BEWARE!!!

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

Thankfully, this turned out well, thanks to Paypal's buyer protection program.

If/when buying a kayak from someone you don't know, sight unseen, except for on-line photos, NEVER send the money under their "friends and family" option, like my "seller" (really scammer) tried to get me to do. If I had, I would be out my significant deposit.

I offered to pay the Paypal fees for the guy, and he still tried to scam me.

Luckily, I got my money for the deposit back in full.

Also, get a phone number and talk to the person live, and ask for custom photos not shown in the original listing/e-mail to you. If the person can't, or won't provide them, don't do the deal.

I provided my phone number, but the scammer wouldn't provide his, and never called or texted me. Another "RED" flag.

Other legit sellers I've dealt with never hesitated to provide the info requested, or to talk with me in person, or via text.

Return to “Suggestion Box”