Permanent Duct Tape - Gorilla Glue Brand, I Think

Moderators: chrstjrn, krudave

Rob
faltbootemeister

Permanent Duct Tape - Gorilla Glue Brand, I Think

Post by Rob »

I ran across this in Walmart today, and almost bought some.

I think it is made by Gorilla Glue, and comes in a large roll of black tape for about $10.

Not sure what it is made of, or how good it is, though the Gorilla brand items seem to be generally well thought of, from the impression I have of their products.

Not sure I'd want to use it on an expensive folder, without more info, but thought it might be useful as an emergency repair material for kayaks, if you are on an expedition, or even just day-tripping, if it works as advertised. Of course, if it truly is "permanent" and you want to go with other repair options later, that could be problematical.

Seems like a material for a nice, quick fix if needed, and you don't have the time, materials, or patience to conduct a more thorough hull repair.

Thinking it might be good for some trim strips of an old Folbot in need of repair/replacement.

Don't know if there are other colors, but I imagine there might be. Seemed like a decent selection of the basic duct tape brands they carry.

Anyone have any experience using it?

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Permanent Duct Tape - Gorilla Glue Brand, I Think

Post by john allsop »

This Gorilla tape is very good, I think probably the best self adhesive tape we can buy. When put on it stays on. As far as I know it is available in black and white and two widths. The old gray duct tapes falls off after a short while and leaves a gooy mess. I have a roll in my repair kit and can recommend it. I even put two or three layers on my Triak as a keel strip, and it has been on for years, it stays on in salt water which is the only water I now can paddle or sail on.

RangerTim
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by RangerTim »

Today's Gorilla Tape still far exceeds duct tape in UV resistance, adhesion, and strength of the backing. While it still has UV resistance of the original Gorilla Tape, the Gorilla Tape on the market the past few years does not adhere as well nor does it's backing have the strength.
When the new Gorilla Tape came out I had a roll of each, the old and the new, to compare. I noticed the difference right away and contacted the manufacturer. The manufacturer admitted that the backing had been made weaker in response to complaints that it was too hard to tear. The manufacturer claimed the adhesion was the same but I disagree.

I have tried T-Rex Tape, a fairly new market entrant. While it betters duct tape I still prefer Gorilla Tape.

I keep some Gorilla Tape in my ditch kit, rolled around a pencil stub. It might make a quickie hull patch on the inside but I haven't tried that. I have it for, among other things, attaching frame splints.
Ann and me
Folbots: Too many. It's embarrassing.
Feathercraft: Aeronaut
Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

I used Gorilla Tape on the outside of the skin of an old kit built Folbot Super. It did not come loose underwater.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Gorilla tape is good stuff. I used it to hold a side view mirror on a Saturn wagon all through a nasty winter many years ago, and to keep a broken tail light assembly on my Honda Element for many months while I searched for a cheap replacement. It’s not duck tape, but gaffer’s tape, also known as racer’s tape or 200mph tape.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Jake
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by Jake »

Another testimonial for Gorilla Tape: last year in a violent summer squall, my little Epic GPX was lifted by a wind gust and thrown against a metal garden stake resulting in a puncture about the width of a quarter. Not having the materials On hand to effect a proper repair to the fiberglass hull, I simply stuck a piece of Gorilla Tape over the wound. I still haven’t gotten around to repairing the damage and, after many hours of paddling the tape is still holding fast giving me additional time to procrastinate. Gorilla Tape: don’t paddle off without it!

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

This reminds me of another repair. I had a 12' plywood rowboat with a hardwood breast-hook. At some point the breast-hook split on the centerline. I repaired it with Gorilla Tape, and never got around to a proper repair. It lasted years outdoors.
Do you think we can get them to sponsor this forum? :)

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

Wow, great to hear it is such a good product.

I was hoping that was the case. I will definitely be adding some to my repair kit.

A real pity the original formulation was not kept though. That would have been preferable.

DavidR
recent arrival

Post by DavidR »

I'm a new Folbot owner. I have a 2005 Cooper (red) that leaks a small amount, even in calm water. There are some tiny and I do mean tiny abrasions on the bottom along the keel. I applied some Aquaseal , but I am still taking on water. I intend to apply a Gorilla tape strip along the length of the keel, hopefully to stop my leaking, but also to provide some modicum of abrasion protection. I figured that the worst that can happen is that it won't adhere properly or won't work and I'll need to clean up the area and figure out something else.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Gorilla tape is very different from duck tape (which is what that grey stuff is actually called.) Gorilla tape is an example of gaffer’s tape, a name that comes from the movie and TV industry. It’s used for taping down cables, temporary lights, etc. Racers call it “200mph tape” and use it for temporary repairs.

Duck tape was used during WWII to seal boxes and cases of arms and material sent overseas. It was designed for waterproofing. It’s useless for ducts, as the adhesive softens at those temperatures. Ducts are sealed with a metallic aluminum tape that has a strong adhesive that doesn’t soften at home heating temperatures.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Return to “Kayak Repair”