Durability and Longevity of Hull Patches?

Moderators: chrstjrn, krudave

Rob
faltbootemeister

Durability and Longevity of Hull Patches?

Post by Rob »

I suspect this is not an easy question to answer, and the success of lower hull repairs probably depends greatly upon the type of hull material in play, quality of the patches, the adhesive materials used, and the skill of the person applying them.

However, I would like to know generally, how long a kayak repair patch may last for a hypalon, or a urethane hull?

I imagine if they peel off or fail, it is possible to remove them, and then reapply another patch. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.

Obviously, I'd prefer to purchase/own a folding kayak without any lower hull damage, but some models are a bit rare, and hard to find, so I may have to consider some with repairs, assuming they don't leak.

Also, any idea how much the value of a folding kayak drops, generally, for those with lower hull damage that has been repaired with a patch, or patches?

I know I'd be prepared to pay a premium for those without any lower hull, or deck damage, since I'd prefer not to have the hassle and worry over them.

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Durability and Longevity of Hull Patches?

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

using a bonding solvent glue like H-66 pretty much makes any patch or wear-strip "one" with the hull material if it has been properly prepped. I have seen well used Feathercrafts with several layers of ovelapping patches that still functioned fine. Never noticed any peeling on other people's boats nor on any of mine.
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

idc
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by idc »

Ditto to Kerry, if the patch has been well applied then it is not a reason to turn down a boat that is otherwise in good nick. Patching is not too difficult to do either, if you find one that has been poorly done (or needs doing) and want a bargain. The key thing is getting the right glue for the hull.

Steer clear of the old rubber on canvas hulls, if the rubber is end-of-life. In that situation you really need to reskin the boat (because there is nothing for the glue to hold on to). This is a much bigger job. Though can be fun and interesting if you're the practical type.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

Thank you for the reply sent information.

I really appreciate it.

Return to “Kayak Repair”