Klepper A2 Frame and Hull Repairs

Moderators: chrstjrn, krudave

Rob
faltbootemeister

Klepper A2 Frame and Hull Repairs

Post by Rob »

An end-cap on a recently replaced Klepper A2 hull (supposedly purchased around 2018) has become unglued - just the very top portion, that folds over the upper deck, on the end of the bow frame. I'm guessing perhaps from repeated heat and cold cycles, if stored outside in a garage, and how it was folded during storage - stress failure from being folded over at the end(?).

From what I've read on the Klepper website, the hull is made of hypalon, so I'd like to know if any decent hypalon glue can be used to re-attach it, say perhaps a generic one from West Marine, or another boating retailer, or if I need to purchase a Klepper or Long Haul hypalon glue?

The hull is a very light gray color, instead of the black one, if that makes any difference. I suspect that a generic glue will be far quicker to obtain, perhaps cheaper as well, and probably the same as those sold by Klepper and/or Long Haul, but not 100% sure about that.

The wood frame is in really rough shape, even though of more recent manufacture - 1990s era, so I'll need to do some major sanding and some repairs, and/or replacement parts. One rib is very warped (it works, but is a tight fit, so probably would be best to replace, and to use this one as a backup), some of the other wooden parts are cracked in numerous places (mainly dowels, but other parts too - keel piece), and most of the larger pieces haven't been protected by varnish for some time, so are somewhat deteriorated/prematurely aged, though there is no rotting visible.

Clearly, they all need to be sanded down, and re-varnished.

So, can any marine-grade varnish be used for this, or do I need to purchase a special type?

Also, for the broken/shattered dowels/stringers, is it possible to repair, and/or reinforce those with a marine-grade, wood glue, or is it best to just completely replace with new parts?

A number of them are in this condition, and temporary repairs have been made to help deal with them, e.g. wrapped with tape, pinned, etc.. They did permit the kayak to be assembled, but I suspect for longevity and durability, as well as safety on the water in anything but flat-water conditions, more proper or robust repair/replacement techniques should be used.

I imagine if regluing, and then either using duct-tape, or PVC/metal sleeves to go over them for more reinforcement, that might work in the interim, until I can find, and/or purchase new parts to replace them. Not the best options, but probably better than the condition they are in now, and costs need to be kept under control.

Thoughts?

Return to “Kayak Repair”