Possible Folbot newbee

Moderators: mje, krudave

Blueflash
paddler

Possible Folbot newbee

Post by Blueflash »

Looking at 1971 model 17ft two seater tomorrow, all original per the seller. Looks good in the pics. Been kayaking in rigid touring kayaks since 2004 but want something lighter and easier to get in and out of. My ole Tempest is 17ft and weighs 71lbs and the cockpit has shrunk considerably over the years. Any tips on what I should be on the look out for since I have no experience with a Folbot?

RangerTim
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: Possible Folbot newbee

Post by RangerTim »

A boat is a hole in the water into which to throw money. You are looking at a long-discontinued boat with many parts whose manufacturer ceased business years ago. Any missing or broken parts must be fabricated or located here or on ebay. The skin (deck and hull as one piece) can be replaced but at huge expense. You do not expect perfection at this age, but I for one am not looking for another project boat. This is not to say that a 1971 Folbot might not be complete and in excellent condition. Just beware.

If the boat had been assembled, ask the seller to disassemble and reassemble. Problems not evident in an assembled boat may show themselves during assembly.

Before assembly handle the deck fabric to check for weakness. Same with the hull. Fold the hull on itself looking for suppleness. Has the hull dried and cracked?

During assembly watch to see if parts must be tweaked to get the boat assembled.

Does the boat leak? If no body of water nearby, put a couple of inches or so of water inside without wetting the ground. Alternately lift bow and stern. See if water leaks out.

Good luck.
Ann and me
Folbots: Too many. It's embarrassing.
Feathercraft: Aeronaut
Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

My early 70s Folbot Super is not very light, but I like it. Mine does not fold. It is very stable and roomy, it sailed well on a short test sail. I cost me $150 with a rig but not a sail, and some racing dinghy parts. I patched the deck with vinyl, the ends with Aquaseal and Gorilla tape. I might reskin the hull at some point with dacron. Good luck with yours, keep us posted.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

If you are looking for a folding kayak I myself knowing what I know now - for a two seater I would only be interested in a Greenland ll between the years of 2001 and 2010.

Reasons being:
It's younger then the "vintage" antiques being sold.
These years still have the Hypalon hull. After 2010-2011 you might get one with an Evaloy hull. It's harder to repair holes in the hull from scrapping or hitting something in the water. The hypalon can be repaired in the field if you like going on camping trips. The "Eviloy" cannot.

Other changes that might help identify the year built.
Aluminum washboards came into being around 2000-2001. (Washboards being the edge frame around the top of the cockpit.)
the Frames were first made of glass filled polycarbonite from the 1990 to 2003. then they went to aluminum frames.
The "Eviloy" I think was definite by 2012, but trying to put an age on these boats can be inaccurate sometimes because the seller does not know what they have. So 2010 is my guidepost for an age range to stay away from "Eviloy".

I would only buy one with the aluminum washboards, they add some stiffness to the hull.

The decking should still be in good shape. If the seller hasn't taken care of the boat then you might wind up with a dry rotted deck from UV sunlight. Or if they put it away wet without allowing it to dry you might have some shrinkage. I've never had that problem, but some people talk about it happening so it does exist.

There are good deals still to be had out there. You can find a good shape G ll for less then $150-500 if your are patient and diligent in your searching. You can find an old one that needs some work to try to see if you like one before spending money on a really good one.
These boats if kept properly will last years and there are always people who buy one and then put them in a closet for years forgetting about them.

Also in buying a boat consider where the seller lives, near salt water or fresh water lakes...if near salt water then I am very cautious about buying if I get the feeling they did not care for the boat properly. What kind of use did the boat have? Building a rapport with the seller is key in finding out.

The forum here is a wealth of information. Do your research. You might find someone close enough to where you live to to go see what your getting into!

There is a lot of good info here regarding when what model was built.
http://jeeps-folbots-etc.epizy.com/folb ... t.html?i=3
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Blueflash
paddler

Post by Blueflash »

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

Also, if you are going to do any ocean kayaking and these can handle it, get one with "perimeter lines". These are the lines running from bow to stern on Expedition kayaks.
If for some incredibly amazing reason you manage to fall out of one of these no matter which brand kayak it is - there is nothing on the bare hull that you can grab to keep the kayak from blowing away in the wind or current. :shock:
These lines on deck give you something to grab and hold onto so you can get back into it. :idea:
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Blueflash
paddler

Post by Blueflash »

Checked out the vintage 17ft two seater Folbot yesterday. Not what I was looking for but what a well preserved boat! Seller's father-n-law built it from a kit in 1971 it is not a folder. Builder is now 80 and "downsizing". This boat has always been stored inside, the paddles and seats have been stored in their own storage bags. Everything is original and not rotted or brittle including the skin. I told the seller about this forum so maybe he will be in touch. Anyone interested can see lots of pics of it on Craig's List. It is located near Alton,Il. Hope it finds a good home.

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

Thanks for the update. I hope you find a good folder to suit your needs.

Jobrien
paddler

Post by Jobrien »

Blueflash wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:47 pm
Checked out the vintage 17ft two seater Folbot yesterday. Not what I was looking for but what a well preserved boat! Seller's father-n-law built it from a kit in 1971 it is not a folder. Builder is now 80 and "downsizing". This boat has always been stored inside, the paddles and seats have been stored in their own storage bags. Everything is original and not rotted or brittle including the skin. I told the seller about this forum so maybe he will be in touch. Anyone interested can see lots of pics of it on Craig's List. It is located near Alton,Il. Hope it finds a good home.
Is the seller's name Downs?

Jobrien
paddler

Post by Jobrien »

It has found a good home.

Jobrien
paddler

Post by Jobrien »

It has found a good home.
JohnSand wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:15 pm
My early 70s Folbot Super is not very light, but I like it. Mine does not fold. It is very stable and roomy, it sailed well on a short test sail. I cost me $150 with a rig but not a sail, and some racing dinghy parts. I patched the deck with vinyl, the ends with Aquaseal and Gorilla tape. I might reskin the hull at some point with dacron. Good luck with yours, keep us posted.
Great attitude Jim. These boats are about adventure not fearfulness.

Return to “Folbots”