Comparing K-1 against Big Kahuna with reinforced deck taping

Moderators: mje, krudave

pagoda113

Post by pagoda113 »

I have no pics of it yet I can post, sorry. But they can do this, don't understand why they told you no. The deck strips are exactly like on the K1. Quite exactly the same running the full length of the boat/etc.

I really could not imagine a reason to favor the K1 (even though I own it too) except for significantly more storage space. The Kahuna just seems more convenient for air travel/etc.

Alm

Post by Alm »

pagoda113 wrote: I really could not imagine a reason to favor the K1 (even though I own it too) except for significantly more storage space. The Kahuna just seems more convenient for air travel/etc.
2 reasons to favor K1;
1) tall people (Greg); there were positive feedbacks from tall Kahuna owners, but perhaps this depends on shoe size, or without a rudder, or other reasons, I don't know.
2)Very long trips with full supply of everything for more than 10 days (except for, may be, fresh water, which is often a partial supply even in K1, as 12-15 gallons is a lot to carry). It is possible to load in Kahuna food and clothes for 12 or may be even 15 days in warm climate and with paddler under 170 lbs and with very limited amount of fresh water and/or in very calm waters where you can do more deck-loading. When you move the camp often, loading/unloading everything with a limited volume of Kahuna can be tricky, if not annoying.

maryinoxford
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by maryinoxford »

Re deck ridge reinforcement: when I first ordered my lightweight Wisper, I asked FC if this could be done. Received the following answer:

We're sorry, but we are unable to make this modification.
The reinforcement strip is a much heavier material and would be problematic in the manufacture of the skin.
However, there is a reinforcement strip of deck fabric welded to the underside of the deck as standard. This protects from wear of the frame against the inside deck.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

Alm

Post by Alm »

However, there is a reinforcement strip of deck fabric welded to the underside of the deck as standard.
In Wisper? May be. There is no such strip on my 2003 Kahuna. And I still don't understand why they can weld this "much heavier material" to the outer side of the K1 deck, but not to the same fabric of Kahuna deck.

doehlsen

Reinforcing Kahuna with deck stripping

Post by doehlsen »

I added a deck strip to my Big Kahuna last year with excellent results using the hull patch material supplied by Feathercraft. This topic was discussed in some detail in this forum last October, so you may want to check out that discussion.

Also, I haven't figured out how to post pictures in the forum, but I would be glad to email you photos of my deck strip installation if you send me your email address.

Alm

Re: Reinforcing Kahuna with deck stripping

Post by Alm »

doehlsen wrote:I
Also, I haven't figured out how to post pictures in the forum, but I would be glad to email you photos of my deck strip installation if you send me your email address.
The only way to display pictures here is to post them elsewhere and insert the image link in the message, using "Img" button (press once, paste the link, and press Img again). If image is already posted somewhere, to get the image address, right-click the mouse on the image and choose "Copy image location" (and then paste between two Img tags).

kayakamper

Re: Reinforcing Kahuna with deck stripping

Post by kayakamper »

doehlsen wrote:I added a deck strip to my Big Kahuna last year with excellent results using the hull patch material supplied by Feathercraft. This topic was discussed in some detail in this forum last October, so you may want to check out that discussion.

I remember that discussion. What did you use to affix the material, Aquaseal?

Chris

doehlsen

Post by doehlsen »

I believe I used Aquaseal. I approached the strip as though it were a hull patch. I think the key is to make the strip wide enough that it easily flexes over the deck bar. I made mine wider near the cockpit, tapering toward the bow. It is a larger version of the strip behind the cockpit on the Kahuna. Also, I rounded the corners to help prevent delamination. I don't have the dimensions here at my office, but I can measure them when I get home and I'll try to post a picture.

westcoastwill

Post by westcoastwill »

I don't have the dimensions here at my office, but I can measure them when I get home and I'll try to post a picture.
doehlsen, fotos and dimensions would be great!

servus

Willi

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

doehlsen wrote:I believe I used Aquaseal. I approached the strip as though it were a hull patch. I think the key is to make the strip wide enough that it easily flexes over the deck bar. I made mine wider near the cockpit, tapering toward the bow. It is a larger version of the strip behind the cockpit on the Kahuna. Also, I rounded the corners to help prevent delamination. I don't have the dimensions here at my office, but I can measure them when I get home and I'll try to post a picture.
Thanks, That is exactly the way I have approached it in my mind.....oh and did you get the proper lengths of material from F.C. ?

Chris

Alm

Post by Alm »

Ok, the mystery of Kahuna's missing strip has been resolved. I always believed in the power of visual information and one-on-one inquiries, and today stopped by the FC office and demanded some explanations :-) ... Had other questions too, of course - repairs of leaking seasock and one spare tube that I needed. Normally it's Doug's female partner Theresa that runs the office, and there is some new young guy named Rob (if my crappy memory on names doesn't fail me), so I've got him. He knew everything that I wanted to know, gave me their proprietary adhesive to fix the older version of seasock with vinyl coating (now it has urethane coating), and explained about the deck strip.

The problem is the bow hatch - it is too close to the strip even on K1 (which is wider at this point, because it is longer than Kahuna). On K1 they have to curve the strip slightly around the hatch - 1/16" or 1/18", you have to look very carefully to see it. On Kahuna this hatch is even closer, so this is more difficult, because the hatch sleeve is welded underneath the deck there. And this strip is very difficult to center. Still, they CAN do it on Kahuna as an option if customers order it when ordering the boat. It has to be welded in the process of manufacturing, they won't do it afterwards. I didn't ask how much - have a gut feeling this can be close to $200.

In my opinion, for after-market DIY strip on Kahuna with Aquaseal glue one can use a strip of deck material. It is more flexible than the hull material, will not peel off under its own force of elasticity, and it is VERY sturdy. Small drybag of the deck material included with my Kahuna has outlived all my other drybags bought at the same time or later - all other bags needed repairs, but not this one.

gregn

Post by gregn »

Alex, well done. and if one uses black deck material, it will look like K-I's deck. Just do not forget about black pigment for aquaseal.

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Thanks for stopping by there Alex. That does answer the question for me as well. The black deck material would be a neat idea as gregn suggests. I have got to believe it would be a real challange to cut and apply it with professional results. Makes me a little nervous to think about :o .

Chris

Alm

Post by Alm »

An academic comment on my part, but if I were to apply the deck material as a protection strip (don't think I will, in the next 2 years), I would rather consider the same colour and a regular (clear) Aquaseal.

This is why:
1) Black deck strip has to be cut and centered very accurately, and black Aquaseal should also be applied very accurately. Otherwise it won't look as nice as the original factory-welded strip. For somebody without good skills this all can be difficult.
2) OTH, same colour strip won't stand out against the deck too much, so the accuracy is less important. It will stand out TAD, - mostly drops and runs of the glue along the edges of the strip, and perhaps some imperfections of the cut along the edges. No big deal, - if the boat isn't new, it won't harm the cool image. May be even to the contrary - kind of old healed scars from some old battles...

But, if cool looks require this strip to be black, then there is a way to do it nice with Aquaseal - at the FC factory. This will add $70 or 80 to the cost of materials, but they will do it VERY accurately. Once I've asked them to fix few pinholes in the hull with black Aquaseal and added short strips on the inside - I would've never done it nearly as nice as they have. There were short strips of the hull material attached inside - no wrinkles, and strips of the cured glue on the outside - smooth like Olympic scate-rink and straight like a runway. They probably used a mould to contain the glue within the required area and a hot press or some other machinery.

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Yeah, they are really set up for that. My wife and I visited there in '05. Quite an impressive little factory.

We are going on an Alaskan cruise this Summer that will end in Vancouver. Don't know if I will have time, but would like to visit them again. Just depends on timing I guess.

Chris

Return to “Feathercrafts”