Frame reconstruction K1 1998, elevated Bow

Moderators: mje, krudave

yuen
forum fanatic

Frame reconstruction K1 1998, elevated Bow

Post by yuen »

Hello!

I have an old K1 1998, first year of the new frame without welded cockpit cage. There are all the ribs, rudder and coamings, but no frame.

I need:

- the measurements of the tubes (how long is each tube, diameter of outside and telescoped tubes I have, same measures of old K1)

- measurements or/and a drawing of bow and stern HDPE plates (I will receive bow or stern HDPE, not sure which)

- rivets and screws: which ones to use? I guess stainless steel corrosion resistant ones?

- the black single and double stopers and the white ones (rounded), was asking Doug Simpson if he could provide, someone know how to make them? Was looking at yostwerks site, he developed another technique to fix ribs, etc., but I would like to stay as close to the original FC Design possible.

- Here in Germany there is no choice of getting 6061-T6 alloy, just 6060-T66 which somehow is inferior, would this a problem using it (especially when paddling at the sea)? I have a choice to eloxate them by the factory I´m buying.

- Tunnels of hatches might be wored off, I will paint them with mix of sikaflex 291i and aceton, it works well.

Something I forgot?

Many thanks and happy paddling!

christoph
recent arrival

Re: Frame reconstruction K1 1998, elevated Bow

Post by christoph »

Hi

The corrosion resistance to salt water of a 6060 would be the same if not better than a 6061.
Please have a look at
https://batz-burgel.com/metallhandel/li ... n-aw-6060/
resp.
https://batz-burgel.com/metallhandel/li ... n-aw-6061/

Would be nice to hear how you progress with your project.
Chris
Klepper Master
feathercraft
- wisper
- big kahuna
- heron

Rob
faltbootemeister

Re: Frame reconstruction K1 1998, elevated Bow

Post by Rob »

Alas, I don't have one of these beauties yet, but hope to eventually.

I suggest contacting the original owner and manufacturer, Doug Simpson, of Feathercraft directly.

He still responds to e-mails, and may be able to give you dimensions. Also, since this is one of the later variants that was produced into the 2000s, he might also be able to supply parts for you.

You should be able to get a drawing of the frame from the FC manual for the kayak, so you can get a rough idea from that of how to proceed. Also, I have a closeup pic of a K1 frame end, and how the tubes go together on it, but I think it's for the 1990 - 1997 version, and am not sure if it is for the front or rear section. PM me with your e-mail address, if you want me to forward that along.

If not, and/or that proves to be too expensive, check out the "Build Your Own" kayak section of this forum, and check out the info and pics on the Yostwerks website. He provides info on how to make your own kayaks, including folding ones, from wood and/or aluminum, and I think he sells the plans, though I haven't seen any pricing info on the pages I've seen there, and I've looked.

In any case, between the two, that should give you a reasonable start on your project.

Hope that helps.

Let us know how your progress goes.

Return to “Feathercrafts”