looking for advice on new to me big kahuna

Moderators: mje, krudave

squirtdad
forum fanatic

looking for advice on new to me big kahuna

Post by squirtdad »

I just got a new to me big kahuna.. it is a 1999 and looks to be in pretty good shape.... yellow top does not too faded, hull only a few scratches.

it was as I now know seized. but 2 hours of work and some still bleeding knuckles I got it apart without damaging anything lots of tapping on the joints with a hammer to loosen up the sand and junk

I am hoping I didn't make a bad buy, but at $650 the price was in line or lower than others i have seen locally (though I am still kicking myself for not grabbing a nautiraid at $425)

so here are my questions:

1) what is the best way to clean up corrosion on the buttons and joints?
2) moving forward is any lubrication advised or just clean and keep it clean
3) any advice on skin preservation......uv protectors? or
4) best bet for float bags?
5 any other sites recommended that might focus on feathercraft?

thanks
Work keeps getting in the way of kayaking, SUP, windsurf, bike and fiddling in the garage activity.

kurty
forum fanatic

Re: looking for advice on new to me big kahuna

Post by kurty »

303 for the skin and boseshield t9 for the tubes.

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

For float bags I use replacement seats for inflatable boats. Very strong, larger than kayak float bags.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

Go to the Feathercraft site.

There's still a lengthy article there on care and maintenance of these. I suggest printing it off, since they closed in 2016, and I don't know how long they'll keep the site up.

If/when using in water, always rinse the frame pieces, and hull deck with fresh water, and let dry thoroughly afterwards.

It appears that the Boeshield lubricant for the tube joints should be applied every time you put it together, to help keep the tubes from seizing.

If you get saltwater in the joints, and they seize due to salt buildup, apparently boiling water will help cure that. Some recommend cold water internally (inner, smaller diameter tube) and boiling externally (applied to the outside of the larger tube), if needed.

Given ALL the sun fading I see on some of these, I'd suggest trying to keep them in the shade as much as possible, when not in use on the water, or throwing a tarp over it to protect from the sun's U/V rays when you can.

Make sure to thoroughly dry the hull and deck before folding up and putting away. Try to keep out of the sun, and in a low moisture environment when storing.

Jake
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by Jake »

The Feathercraft webpage seems to be “unavailable at this time”. Can’t tell if this is permanent but anyone interested might be able to reach Doug Simpson using the old email address: info@feathercraft.com

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

I just checked and the Feathercraft website works for me, so you might want to clear cookies or check your browser.

Jake
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by Jake »

I still get this message: Safari cannot open the website because the server cannot be found🙁

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

Change your browser.
I was just on this website to check before I typed this up.

http://feathercraft.com/assembly-instructions/
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Jake
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by Jake »

Yakadoodle, I reset my iPad and that seems to have solved the problem. Thanks😊! Jake......

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

For the deck the standby treatment is 303 Fabric Protector.
However, there is no mention on the labeling or manufacturers website of it having UV protection.
I switched to using a product from a company called "Starbrite"
Waterproofing Spray that is advertised as giving U.V. protection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EXIVV ... UTF8&psc=1
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Return to “Feathercrafts”