feather craft values

Moderators: mje, krudave

squirtdad
forum fanatic

feather craft values

Post by squirtdad »

A bit funny, but I am getting email from the head of Trak kayaks, pushing for a sale. One of the comments made was to the effect that values for Feather craft will be going down soon. I guess his thinking is out of support and getting old means value will go down.

any thoughts?

I know that in watching local craigslist (San jose, San francisco area) values have been pretty consistent in the $600 to $1000. Old kleppers seem to bring (or at least ask) a premium and to a degree the folbots also.
Work keeps getting in the way of kayaking, SUP, windsurf, bike and fiddling in the garage activity.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Re: feather craft values

Post by Rob »

Last edited by Rob on Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

[Apologies for the double post - the submission seems to have been delayed slightly - posting above deleted as much as I could, since I don't see a delete in total option, and had to post a minimum of 20 characters while trying to delete the text]

I'm not so sure that the FC kayak values will be going down anytime soon, unless Trak fixes or modifies their tensioning system, and/or lowers the price of their kayaks. There doesn't seem to be an option to just buy those at a discount, without drysuits, etc., when paying in advance, which might/should lower the cost of the basic 'yak.

A drysuit might be useful in the Winter, especially in the Great White North, but really isn't needed in a lot of other areas. I'd be a little worried about chafing while paddling though, wearing one of those.

Also, a 12+ month lead time to purchase a Trak IS a really long time to wait, especially for someone wanting to, or actually paddling now, and wanting/needing a new ride.

I'd also be concerned about that lengthy purchase lead time as well, since it would seem to negate any recourse one might have with a credit card company, should non-delivery, or a sub-par product be received. It definitely negates the Paypal recourse, which is limited to 6 months.

Yes, replacement parts for FCs may be hard to come by, if not impossible, but some items CAN apparently be crafted reasonably easily by their owners, and/or other hobbyists, e.g. aluminum tube sections, and even ribs. Skins are a bit more problematical, but some repairs can be made to them, for both short and long-term use.

Given the above, I doubt FC "values" will be plummeting anytime soon. If they do, I might buy a couple, or three.

Jake
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by Jake »

Doug Simpson is currently able to make replacement frame parts for some models made after 1998. Making ribs or longerons for a K-Light or Kahuna as a DIY project is certainly do-able but I’d rather buy a second boat and cannabalize it for proper replacement parts. The K-Light was Feathercraft’s best selling boat and there are probably scores of them in perfect condition packed away in the corner of closets and garages, having gone largely unused for the past couple of decades. BTW, this may be one reason why Feathercraft kayaks have such a reputation for longevity; they simply haven’t been used but once or twice a year over their entire lifetime.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Post by Rob »

I imagine you could be right about that in some cases, though in others they seem to be used quite a bit.

They are very well made, especially their hypalon hulls.

yuen
forum fanatic

Post by yuen »

Very durable. Great performance. Beautiful. If you have one stay with it. If you have more than one: well done.

kurty
forum fanatic

Post by kurty »

Klight cost $2200-2300 20 years ago. 600-1000$ is still good money for used kayaks.

The price was a little bit down in last 3-5 years. One reason is there was no buyer below 40yo and old generation want to get rid off them to end their paddling lives.

Jake
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by Jake »

I’ve enjoyed paddling the K-Light, Kurrent and Wisper. Of the three, I liked the K-Light best. I think I felt more comfortable with the smaller cockpit. I’d still consider buying a K-L made between 2008-2011 before they were discontinued but after the introduction of the internal cockpit coaming. Sweet paddling little boat so long as one remembered to install the strap-on skeg when running a quartering chop to neutralize a decided tendency to weathercock.

Return to “Feathercrafts”