waterproofing hatch?

Moderators: mje, krudave

squirtdad
forum fanatic

waterproofing hatch?

Post by squirtdad »

as a typical new to me owner i am obsessing for every thing

I see that the urethane coating on the hatch tubes (for a lack of a better word) where like a dry sack you roll up and clip and on the hatch covers is gone with age

any ideas on a coating to uses to reseal? thinned aqua seal?

as an aside I am more impressed with the detail of this boat, like the molded plastic seat it is a shame they are not in production
Work keeps getting in the way of kayaking, SUP, windsurf, bike and fiddling in the garage activity.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Re: waterproofing hatch?

Post by Rob »

There are a number of spray-on, waterproofing sealants.

Don't know if it is best to apply internally, externally, or both, but it seems that FC used to apply their sealants to the underside of the decks, so I imagine they applied it inside the tubes as opposed to on the outer surfaces (probably in order to avoid an ugly appearance (if/when the stuff does flake off).

I don't know which sealant is best, so perhaps someone else can comment on that, as well as on applying it to the surface(s). I have used plain old Scotch-Guard on hiking boots, and that worked fine, decades ago.

You can also check the "Repairs" section of this site, which I suspect may have addressed this issue already for you.

Best of luck on re-treating your hatch tubes.

I agree on your comment about the demise of FC. I wish they were still in production too.

Which one do you own?

squirtdad
forum fanatic

Post by squirtdad »

Rob.....just got a big kahuna. it is in pretty good shape, busy rinsing skin and frame. then t9, next weekend will put it together and really wash the yellow top then put on the 303 stuff, ordered neoprene to redo the seat and back padding

I think feathercraft used urethane coated nylon fabric (common in outdoor stuff) for these hatches (and the seat sling, but the spray skit seems to be more robust) and the urethane coating has just flaked with age.
Work keeps getting in the way of kayaking, SUP, windsurf, bike and fiddling in the garage activity.

yuen
forum fanatic

Post by yuen »

https://www.svb.de/de/sika-sikaflex-291 ... masse.html

Mix Sikaflex 291i with aceton and apply it. It helds well and restore the water proveness. Have done it with old hatches and sprayskirt FC K1

Sikaflex is a sealant on Base of polyurethan. Work with gloves while mixing and applying

Return to “Feathercrafts”