New 545 A II's vs. old A II's

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

RobertD
forum fan

New 545 A II's vs. old A II's

Post by RobertD »

I used to have an older 1970's Klepper A II, and am debating buying new vs buying a used boat. Some questions;

1- where does the extra length go on the new boat. Extended bow, stern, or cockpit?

2- How does the new boat perform compared to the old?

3- is the new boat much heavier? I would be getting the Classic model. I don't plan on doing anything too extreme with mine. Maybe an overnight, coast hugging outing along the FLA gulf coast, or along Lake Superior in the summer....again, keeping it very safe.

4- Are there any features on the new boat that are desirable vs. the old, and vice versa?

5- Are the new boats of similar quality to the old ones? I know that they have recently changed hands.

6- How is the customer service with the new owners?

I am 6' 180lbs, and my wife is petite. We are near retirement age, and are not going to be jumping out of helicopters or doing anything but puttering, for the most part.

TIA,
Rob

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Re: New 545 A II's vs. old A II's

Post by Yakadoodle »

Taka a look at these if you're thinking new kayak.

https://www.longhaulfoldingkayaks.com/
"It is basically a Klepper Aerius II, with upgrades in materials and workmanship. Mark Eckhart, the owner of Long Haul has been repairing Klepper boats for about 20+ years. He took what he learned, and started making them in the US. I believe Klepper is now being made in Poland." J.A.

Quality and customer service are top notch.
Read the latest threads on them. viewforum.php?f=8
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

RobertD
forum fan

Post by RobertD »

Yakadoodle,

I have seen those, but it seems that they are $1000 more, are heavier, and still have the smaller(520) size. If I was planning on doing more extreme outings I would consider them.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

I think the longer 545 has the seats further apart which is a good benefit if used as a two seater. The seats in the old A2 were too close, in my opinion.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

All of the additional length of the 545 is in the cockpit, and it affords the rear paddler all of the extra 10 inches and allows taller paddlers room to operate the rudder pedals without poking one's knees above the cockpit combing. Ask me how I know...hah! The quality of older Kleppers is exceptional, the only weak point that I know of is that the older rubber hulls will fail after 30 years or so, and the hypalon hulls may also degrade after several decades of UV and salt, although many older hypalon hulls from the earliest A1 and 2s that are now 40 years old are perfectly serviceable. No one knows how long the newer TPU hulls will last, but so far they look pretty good to me. And while there have been numerous small changes to the Aerius line over the years the only major improvement besides the hulls is the rudder: newer (maybe in the last 12 years or so) rudders are MUCH better in design and material. The only thing that is worse with newer boats is the casting used for the mast partner and the rudder bracket, the new ones are inferior in strength and corrosion resistance. So that's my $.02
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Jackie
recent arrival

Post by Jackie »

I have a ca 1985 Arius II in excellent condition that I would like to sell. Located in southern PA near MD

JohnSand
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by JohnSand »

"I have a ca 1985 Arius II in excellent condition that I would like to sell. Located in southern PA near MD"

I think those boats are desirable. You should probably list in our for sale section, and consider Ebay, Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.
I sold a Folbot very quickly last year during the shutdown, I don't know if the demand for kayaks is still as high. Good luck with your sale.

Return to “Klepper”