Approx. Age/Era of Klepper Aerius 2?

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Rob
faltbootemeister

Approx. Age/Era of Klepper Aerius 2?

Post by Rob »

I'm curious about the approximate age/era of a Klepper Aerius 2, which looks very much like this late 1970s model (according to the person posting in this Craigslist advertisement his is a 1977 - 1978 model, purchased in 1980 - same overall shape, colors, seat(s), and cross-rib tips which are metal, like on this one, with which to affix the coaming to.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/d/ ... 01332.html

The only difference on the one I'm curious about says "Syst. Klepper Aerius" on the stern gunwales, instead of just "Klepper Aerius", as shown on the one in the CL ad. The owner didn't have any idea when the kayak was made, so I'm looking for an approximate date range, if it is possible to determine that, given the different text on the stern hull sides. The "Syst. Klepper" part of the name is printed on a blue field background (on top of the lower gray hull sides), and "Aerius" is printed on the gray hull, the same, on both models.

I'd like to know if it is also roughly a late 1970s or 1980s model, or perhaps a later one, given the hull name printed on the side, difference.

The flag placements on both, on the upper, rear deck, are the same.

The long wooden pieces come in a long, olive green, bag to fit, which has a blue bottom, and a single strap to permit it to be carried over the shoulder. It also comes with another, olive green back for the hull skin, and/or rib parts. The latter comes with two backpack straps, and a drawstring top. There's another duffel bag which is blue (so I suspect not original), which is now being used to carry the wooden rib parts, and seats, and just has handles on top for carrying by hand (now it is being used to carry all the extras, and the drawstring duffel is being used just for the skin. I don't know if this helps any, or not, to roughly date the kayak.

In another posting someone mentioned that there could be a serial number printed or stamped on the Aerius 2, so I'd like to know if that's on the frame or the nside of the hull. I also read that in some cases that could help to identify the year of manufacture.

Any info that can be provided will be appreciated.

Rob
faltbootemeister

Re: Approx. Age/Era of Klepper Aerius 2?

Post by Rob »

I got a reply on FB about this.

Looks like it is a 1980s+ model.

Return to “Klepper”