New owners of two Long Hauls - (paddles?)

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Jpfahrstar
paddler

New owners of two Long Hauls - (paddles?)

Post by Jpfahrstar »

My wife and I are the new owners of a 2016 Ute and a 2005 Mark1. The Ute is the same one that Bob Ryan has written about in his Everglades trip report. He delivered it to us last week and gave us a quick course in assembly and care. Thanks a bunch, Bob! I'm really glad this site allowed us to connect and happy that we could arrange to be the new owners of his kayak. I found the Mark 1 up in New Jersey and I'm just amazed how well this one has aged despite being 16 years old. Picked it up last week as well.
We live in Maryland and so we'll be paddling around the Chesapeake Bay and other East Coast waters. We have been kayaking for a number of years in rentals and friends boats but folding kayaks are new to us. Really looking to have a lot of fun in them and maybe bumping into some other folding kayak owners along the way.
I know that paddles are very personal selections but does anyone have any guidelines for paddle lengths/types for the Ute(my wife is 5' 5") and the Mark !(I'm 6' 2") that might guide us to new ones?
See you on the water.
John and Patty
Columbia, MD

Rob
faltbootemeister

Re: New owners of two Long Hauls - (paddles?)

Post by Rob »

I can't provide any real advice, other than to say that you do need to take the width of your kayak into consideration.

I've never paddled a Long Haul or Klepper, but have paddled a double Folbot model, and I know all are a bit beamier than some of the other models out there. It's important to have the proper length to be able to reach into the water due to the desired depth.

I do suggest contacting Long Haul, since I suspect they should be able to provide some answers or guidance for you.

If the beam is similar to the Klepper, you could also contact them too, to see what they say, and to compare notes.

I hope that helps.
Last edited by Rob on Sat May 08, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jpfahrstar
paddler

Re: New owners of two Long Hauls - (paddles?)

Post by Jpfahrstar »

Thanks, Rob. I will be talking to Mark at Long Haul about paddle length.

Return to “Long Haul”